We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinary for a day trip

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,431 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinary for a day trip

I will be taking a day trip to Capri from Sorrento sometime in the last week of September.can anyone suggest a reasonable itinary for 2 straight middle-aged guys who are reasonably fit.we have no desire to visit the blue Grotto,but would prefer time for a nice long lunch a a couple of glasses of wine.

we don't mind an early start and a late finish.

hope you can help.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinary for a day trip

well Capri is really a place to relax and enjoy... difficult to use the word "itinary" for what to do there...

if you have half a day you may consider after reaching Capri, tour a bit Capri town... it wouldn't take you long to cover it... while there get to the Gardens of Augustus near the via Krupp.

then go to Ana Capri.. they have a hill (or Monte Solaro) which you can climb walking (1 hour) or do it in a few minutes by chair lifts. Having seem Capri town and Ana Capri you could decide where you would rather have lunch and a few drinks.

There isn't much more to it in my opinion.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinary for a day trip

The Villa San Micele, in Anacapri, is well worth visiting. Beautiful villa designed by author and doctor Axel Munthe, stupendous views over to the mainland from its gardens.

canada
Level Contributor
7,452 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinary for a day trip

Capri is small enough to go around in a good day, meaning that it all depends on weather. I was there 10 days ago, and it was a washout, save some hazy outline of the Faraglioni Rocks. On a sunny day, you can move from one restaurant to another, with lunch merging into dinner etc. while you can choose between people watch and scenery watch. A lot of things are too touristy nowadays as compare to my visit 30+ years ago. Fit people can attempt to climb/decend the Phoenesian steps as a challenge.

4. Re: Itinary for a day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:06 pm, July 08, 2006
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinary for a day trip

I tend to agree with Bofoster..

Capri is a pleasent place (for a very short stay) where you enjoy strolling, people watching, eating etc... most of what attracts us is the glitz and hipe surrounding the place... but having been there I would not label it as a must destination... which you would travel to (specifically) from Rome, Milan or other places, unless you are already coming to the Amalfi coast.

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinary for a day trip

As an alternative to people watching and to escape the crowds you could visit the Villa Jovis (the ruins of Tiberius' palace) This would take about

2-3 hours from Capri town and is a very pleasant walk, nice scenery and a bit of history. Get an english version of the map from the Tourist Info near the funicular station.

Best Wishes,

Pete.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,431 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinary for a day trip

thanks for all the suggestions and candid opinions.I like to take my time when I visit places I have not been to before and to have several options when doing so.I will even change my plans if something that appeals to me is going on in the area.

so once again thanks.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinary for a day trip

Seconding what peteh said - Tiberius' palace is definitely worth a visit. He used to have people thrown into the sea from up there if they upset him ;)

Actually there are lots of nice walks and quieter places to see on Capri, especially if you're feeling energetic. Just make sure you leave yourself enough time to get back for your boat!

9. Re: Itinary for a day trip

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, January 12, 2009
10. Re: Itinary for a day trip

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

Removed on: 4:09 pm, July 08, 2006