We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Grotto - Do I need reservations? Can I even do it?

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Grotto - Do I need reservations? Can I even do it?

I'll be in Rome for a vacation, and was wondering if I were to do a day trip to Capri, could I even do a Blue Grotto tour? Does it only leave in the morning?

If I can do a mid-day tour, do I need reservations, or can I just show up? I was hoping it could be a last minute decision, just in case the weather is crummy or the seas are rough.

Thanks so much :)

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Grotto - Do I need reservations? Can I even do it?

You can just show up at Marina Grande and jump on an excursion boat to take you to the grotto... However, you pay for that ride, and once you get to the grotta, if you want to go inside, you pay again to transfer to a small boat to go inside.

The other way is to take a bus (or the funicular) to Capri town, take a bus to AnaCapri and transfer to the blue grotto bus... tha'tll get you to steps leading to just outside the grotto and the little boats will also take you inside... a little longer, but you only pay once. Keep yer head down..

jlt

USA
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Grotto - Do I need reservations? Can I even do it?

The sea is frequently rough during May and the Grotto can be closed, but they will still happily take your money. Be forewarned! Sometimes the sea will settle in the later afternoon, just use your common sense.

As you exit the ferry to the island, there is a tourist information office along the right side of the marina/pier. (Designated with an 'i' on the sign). They can tell you if grotto is open and provide other island info too. They also have good maps of the island (0.80 E) as of May 9, 2005. There are beautiful hikes around the island for spectalar views, with hills and stairs! Wear good shoes!