We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lunch and sightseeing on capri

Which Capri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
merseyside
Level Contributor
340 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
lunch and sightseeing on capri

Hi folks, we are staying in sorrento but are planning a trip (ourselves not with tour company) to capri 1st june for the day. We do not want to go to the blue grotto (v. claustraphobic!!!) but would like to see as much of the island as possible without rushing of course and have some lunch. So after going around the houses my question is what are the places/sights we should not miss (we are not adverse to walking) and where can we go for a good but not expensive lunch (ive read prices are really high). Would a picnic be a good idea, is there anywhere we could have one? Any ideas would be appreciated, with names and obviously location of any good trattorias, cafes, restaurants etc. Many thanks

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

I love Capri and spend time there every summer--for more than 25 years. For me, there is nothing on the island that makes it worth a quick visit. It is not much different from other beautiful places on the mainland. Capri is a pain to get to, and get around. Especially, if it is hot, and you are in a hurry. And, of course, you have your return connection. No doubt many people will tell you that this or that is a "must see". Hopefully, those people will also say how much time they have spent on the island. My guess is, not much.

What makes Capri famous are the well known people who have been visiting forever. From Tiberius, to Lenin, to Axel Mundt, to Noel Coward, to Jackie Onassis to Tom Cruise. They did not come for a quick visit.

The Capri I love, is a place for doing very little, at a very slow pace. A beautiful place that needs time to work its magic!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

First get there as early as possible. make straight for the venucular (purchase combined ticket to get you up to Anacapri) and get up to Anacapri. You must visit the Villa of San Michelle (If you can get a copy of 'The Building of San Michelle' from the library and read it before you go, Last published 1937It will give you a great insight into the Island, it history & culture.) The church of the same name is also well worth a visit with the most amazing floor that you must view from the balcony. A walk up to the villa Jovis will get you away from the crowds & you will also come across some nice little places to eat at a reasonable price. Back to Anacapri and you can take the 'Chair lift' up to the top of Mont Solara. Once back to Anacapri if you have the time walk back down to the Marina Grande for the ferry back Sorrento.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
21,607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

have cut and pasted my report of a day trip I took to Capri in september 05.

Posted on: 8:02 am, Oct 01, 2005

We took the 9.30 ferry from Sorrento and then the Finnicular to Capri town ,we then took the hair-raising bus trip from there to Annacapri (not for the fainthearted).The chairlift to the top of Mt.Solarno was our next hair-raising mode of transport,and enjoyed a beer and splendid views from the top.From there we went back down the mountain on the chair lift ,a little more confident this time.from there a trip to the wonderful villa and gardens of San Michelle was our next port of call.we had a lunch of locally made raviolli in tomato sauce,in a small cafe in a side sreet off the main town centre.the food was fantastic.From there we took the bus back to Capri town and then made the trek up to the villa Jovis.It is a fair trek on a hot afternoon but well worth the effort,and after a short visit there retuned to Capri town for a beer and a little shopping.We then took the Fennicular back to the port area ,which gave us enough time for another beer before the 6.15 ferry back to Sorrento

I know this is not everyones ideal day trip,but it was for me and my friend.Beware the chair lift can be very scary to some (me)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
517 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

I didn't explore much of the Capri side, but if there's something you want to do there, go for it.

Take the bus to Anacapri. I liked the chairlift up Mt. Solaro. It's a beautiful view. You'd probably be better off eating on the Anacapri side. It's likely not as expensive as the Capri side. Restaurants will have menus posted outside, so you can check prices before you go in.

Level Contributor
299 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

I've got to agree w/ gotlegal: I love Capri but a one day trip is really not gonna cut it. The island really shows itself when you can escape the crowds and just let the beauty soak in. Not going to happen as you scamper around with everyone else on the same one day schedule. Sorry.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

Ask anyone who spends time on Capri--lot's of time--when was the last time he visited one of the "must sees" such as the Blue Grotto, Villa San Michele, Villa Jovis, Augustus' Gardens or Monte Solaro. You will probably get a blank stare, or the assurance that he must go back there, next year for sure!!

From the pool area of our hotel there is a wonderful view across the bay to Augustus' Gardens. It is always fun when a newcomer to the island asks frantically, "where do I go, what must I see". You hand him a pair of binoculars and let him look across the bay at the hordes of sweating people carrying cameras, water bottles and God knows what, trudging up the steps to the view point overlooking the Gardens. The day is sunny and hot. Every day is sunny and hot. You explain to the newcomer, that he can do that, or he can have a drink in a lounge chair by the pool. His choice. The new visitor immediately begins to calm down, and begins to understand Capri.

7. Re: lunch and sightseeing on capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 31, 2009