We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi

Anyone can help we are going to take a ferry from Sorrento to Capri late July ..Do we really have to book on line in advise ?I would rather book it same day and in the port rather then on line same time I don't wonna get disappointment if ferry gonna be fill?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
12 replies to this topic
cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,505 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

No - you don’t have to book in advance..

Just make sure you get down to the Marina in plenty of time as the ticket queues can be quite long..

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi ,

Thank you I just thought if need to queue ti ferry kiosk with paper voucher to print the ticket off might as well buy it on same day.

Regards

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Just come back from Sorrento. We had no problem booking the ferry. However what you may not know is that if using public transport you have to get a small bus from the port up to the town. We queued for an hour to get this bus and probably half an hour to get back. They also pack the bus like a Japanese tube train and if you are standing in the door way it is not a pleasant journey. This really shortened the day. Although I almost always try and use public transport if I were going again I would seriously look at some of the small boat trips to the island, although these are more expensive you may find you get to see more, and queue less. If you want to go to the blue cave this is a good option. Alternatively get a boat to the blue cave from the port when you arrive and try and time your bus trip between ferry arrivals. Have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi

We always walk from the Marina Piccola (Sorrento ferry point) to the town centre and it's not too bad with good views but there is also a lift. We never buy ferry tickets online.

https://www.sorrentolift.it/en/

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Marina Piccola
Marina Piccola
884 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
35,577 posts
597 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

You don't need to book in advance, you can just get it once you arrive.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Ok Thank you 🙂

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi

We staying in Nice Hotel near train station and apparently it is a walking distance to ferry???I wasn't aware need to take a bus ??🤔

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

We staying in Nice Hotel near train station and apparently it is a walking distance to ferry???I wasn't aware need to take a bus ??🤔

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi

Yes, Hotel Nice is a pleasant walk to the ferry point, roughly 1200 metres. There are various routes but I would walk along the Corso Italia (main road) to the Piazza Tasso, go diagonally right and down Via S Francesco which brings you out near Hotel Tramontano. You can walk down the steps or take the lift. You can see it all on Google Maps.

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Corso Italia
Corso Italia
771 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Piazza Tasso
Piazza Tasso
2,999 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
England
Level Contributor
50 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sorrento- Capri ferry info

Hi Eddie

We are thinking of getting the lift down to the port tomorrow for a trip to Capri. From memory last year when we walked down the steps from Piazza Tasso the ticket office was half way down the slope - is there somewhere else we can buy tickets at the bottom of the Lift?

Mentioned in this post
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Piazza Tasso
Piazza Tasso
2,999 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Reply to: Sorrento- Capri ferry info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Capri