We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Capri

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Capri

I am thinking of going to Capri and the end of September. Can anybody help me with a few general questions:

How expensive is it to get the Hydro foil from Capri to Sorrento and how long is the journey? Is there enough to do on Capri or is a trip to mainland justified? How expensive is it to travel by taxi from the airport at Naples to Capri? Is it still warm enough to go to the beach?

Also can anybody recommend a few restaurants on Capri and also 3 tops sites.

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Capri

Hi Pino, only generalizations but you may get a better picture.

A taxi all the way to Sorrento would certainly be very expensive and not being amphibious you still have to transfer to the 'batelli'. The way to go is a taxi or airport bus to the Naples quayside and get your boat directly. Hydrofoils are a little more expensive but in my limited experience not a lot of time is saved over the normal steamer.

Capri is not so much an island as a geographic feature!

Its cliff faces rise directly out of the sea and 90% of what goes on is up there. The mele and general chaos on arival at the Marina Grande has to be seen to be believed. The charm of Capri comes only when the day-trippers have left or before they arrive early morning.

If you climb to the Villa Jovis on the Northerly point and watch the sunset, Capri is like nowhere else in the world.

Its beauty lies in its delail and its general ambiance if you are looking for 'things to do' you will be struggling.

Beaches ? I don't remember any but you may find some rock bathing and hot it will be.

I hope you decide that it is worth the effort to get there.

Bob.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Capri

Hi there!

A Hydrofoil from Capri to Sorrento IS NOT expensive and is pretty much your only alternative to get there. From what I remember from our trip in October of 2005, the boat was about 12.50 Euros - take the Aliscafi/Jet. There's a little ticket booth on the port at Capri - get your tickets there.

A Hydrofoil from Naples to Capri a bit more expensive at 15 Euros, but still not bad! Be careful of taxi drivers in Naples - they are INSANE!! Craziest drivers in the world. But they get you there!

One restaurant I HIGHLY recommend in Capri is actually at the hostel we stayed at - Hotel Belsito. It's only open certain nights - sort of at the whim of the owners. The food is fantastic and the view is superb. It's not a fancy place by any means, but still very neat and nice. Here's their website: http://www.hotelbelsito.com/en/index.html

Another great place is right above the shopping area - sorry, I can't remember its name. But this place has great food and a nice lunch buffet.

Unless you want to splurge on a fancy dinner one night, I recommend staying away from restaurants surrounding the main plaza and the shopping areas. They are extremely expensive, and you can get meals just as delicious elsewhere, for much less.

Regarding activities on Capri itself - well, it's hard to say. If you're staying on Capri for a week, you would be ready to leave at the end. We were there for a week, and had a great time, but felt that any more time there would've been too much. It's a small island, but there's still some great things to do: there is a fantastic hiking trail that goes around the town of Capri - great ocean views and you're high up on cliffs. Lots of stairs going down, though. Also, Blue Grotto is fun, and there are boat tours that go around the island. Of course there's some impressive shopping there, but hello expensive! The neighboring town of Anacapri is worth a visit - they have a little ski-lift type thing that takes you to the highest point on the island - great views and you can settle in with a glass of wine at the top. Good shopping in Anacapri as well, though it's mainly local handicrafts (which I personally love), rather than the high profile shops of Capri.

You could also do a day trips from Capri to neighboring towns - Positano (very trendy), Sorrento (you know that already, though!), and Pompeii, which I highly recommend. Pompeii is definitely a full day's excursion - to get there take a hydrofoil to Sorrento, then take the train to Pompeii.

Enjoy your trip - it's incredibly beautiful there!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Capri

Sorry - P.S.:

Sadly the beach (and it's not much of one!) is closed at the end of September through the winter season. Like I said my hubby and I went in October, and while it could get chilly, the weather was actually quite nice. Not too hot, not too cold. It's not tanning weather, however.

Cheers!

4. Re: Going to Capri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:24 am, August 30, 2009