We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Capri with Car

South Carolina
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ferry to Capri with Car

Hello,

First of all is it better to take a ferry from Sorrent or Naple to Capr?

Second, we are staying on the island of Capri for 1 night. We have rented a car for the 2 weeks we will be in Italy. How much is it to carry the car with us to Capri? Is it better to park the car and leave it overnight and not carry it to Capri with us?

There may be a site I can visit to get prices but I have no idea what it is. Thanks, Chris

Sweden
Level Contributor
495 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

I agree that driving in Naples should be avoided. I've been to many places in the world which are infamous for their traffic - India, the Middle East, Greece, northern Africa - but nothing beats downtown Naples in terms of reckless driving.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

Thank You all for your help. I won't be taking the car with me to Capri... I think I'll post a message on the Sorrento and Naples boards about parking at the ferry docks. I may not even stay in Capri.... I may look at staying Sorrento for that night.

Jean-S... sometimes I feel the same way. I hate to even mention that I am going to drive in Italy because so many try to discourage it. It's nice to know there is someone else out there who has the same opinion as me. I have driven all over Italy and although it is a little rough at times I don't mind it all. Like you, I have been able to see many places I would have if I had not driven. Anyway... thanks for the help and the suggestions.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

Casati,

Do I have to drive in downtown Naples to get to the Ferry? I will be travelling from Rome, which Ferry is quickest and easiest to reach... Sorrento or Naples?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,552 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

>>Do I have to drive in downtown Naples to get to the Ferry

You don't have to, if you don't mind exiting 10-20km beyond downtown to the west or east on the Tangenziale, drive to the sea front and then approach the dock.

NYC
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

Can I fly directly from Omaha Nebraska to Capri? We don't like Italian food so much is there anyplace like an Applebee's?

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

Molo Beverello is across the street from Piazza Municipio and both are considered to be in Centro/downtown Napoli. However, as mentioned by bibimbob a more easy route is to indeed head out south of Napoli on the A3 to get to the tangenziale to take the Porto exit which will go over at least Piazza Garibaldi.

There are no dividing lane markings on Via Marina Nuova(cars go en masse in one direction) from the tangenziale and you can make your way up to Molo Beverello which sometimes has a police person directing traffic even when the stop light still works. While in Napoli, you should not wear jewelry or a Rolex-type watch.

17. Re: Ferry to Capri with Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, August 23, 2009