We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel comparison for a family

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel comparison for a family

We are planning a trip to Italy in July 2016. We are trying to decide on hotels. Two of our options are Hotel Villa Garden and Grand Hotel Royal. Does anyone have experience with either of these hotels and which is better suited to a family of four. Our kids will be 9 and 6 at the time. We have never been to The amalfi coast so any advice is welcome and appreciated.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Grand hotel Royal is fairly close to the centre os Sorrento - a flat walk away - whereas Hotel Villa Garden is not in Sorrento itself, but in Sant'Agnello (a long walk or bus ride away).

And I don't mean to nit-pick, but Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast..

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
367 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

The Royal for sure.We were at the sister hotel the de la ville last Sept and loved it.This year we at the Royal for 16 nights.Better view and large pool on ground level.Trust me you will need the pool in July.Very hot.Love the location.10 min from Tasso square and Marina Picolla to catch ferries.15 min walk to trains and busses.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Thank you. We told a travel agent that we wanted to go to the amalfi coast. She recommended Sorrento then came up with the villa garden hotel so all in all we are a little confused!

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Hi

Yes, The Grand Hotel Royal is one of the top hotels in Sorrento and would certainly be my choice. St Agnello is on the outskirts of Sorrento and IMO nowhere near as good.

Reading between the lines, do you want to go to the Amalfi Coast for a beach holiday? If so Sorrento has no real beaches, and as already mentioned, it's in the beautiful Bay Of Naples not the Amalfi Coast which requires a ferry ride or a bus journey to reach.

Positano and Amalfi are the two most famous towns on the Amalfi Coast. They are both very beautiful towns and have large coarse-sand beaches. Ischia is an island off Naples and has fabulous golden sand beaches.

It depends what your interests are and what you want to do. Sorrento is a good base to visit all of these places including Capri and has a local train to Pompeii, Vesuvius, Herculaneum and Naples. Lots of children like Sorrento; it has great transport links to all of the main attractions, it's a big and lively town, it has the picturesque Marina Grande where you can sunbathe and swim in the sea and it also has bathing platforms. You just can't build sandcastles, that's all.

Eddie

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Well, that particular 'Travel Agent' doesn't know what she's talking about. Find another - or do some research and sort it out yourself.

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Hi again

Yes, I often think some travel agents try to promote the most unpopular places and hotels.

Edited: 10:53 am, August 20, 2015
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Thank you everyone. We are not looking for a beach holiday. It's more of a sightseeing trip. As long as my kids are able to swim in the hotel pool in the afternoons they will be happy. Would we be better off in Amalfi or Positano?

Yes we have decided to do this ourselves. I've not mad about using travel agents but since we've never been before we thought it best to get expert advice! Thanks again everyone.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,506 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

I'd stay in Sorrento if I were you. For hotel advice please post your nightly budget and the age of your children.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

Hi. Our kids will be 9 and 6 at the time of travel. We'd like to stay within €450 per night. Thank you.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,506 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel comparison for a family

This is a good central hotel that will come in under budget.

www.hotelantichemura.com/