We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
38 reviews
Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

This happened to me twice this trip? When buying any tickets from the train station please check the tickets is the one you wanted and the price matched with what you paid. It seems to me the station staff might be pocketing the money by selling wrong tickets (cheaper price) tickets to tourist, e.g. You buy 180 minutes tickets and they give you the 60 minutes one. This seems to me a common practice as when I talked to station staff in naple who are checking tickets, they acknowledge there is a problem and they want to crack it. Good luck to them !

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,379 posts
166 reviews
1. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Sorry this happened to you. A way to avoid the ticket office and crowds is to board the Circumvesuviana at Porta Nolana (the terminus) and buy tickets from the small newspaper booth near the entrance. You'll get a seat at Porta Nolana and avoid the crush at the next stop - Garibaldi - where most tourists board.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

I thought the entire Circumvesuviana system was dodgy at best. The day I went on it, they had an unannounced work stoppage from 2-6pm causing me headaches and a taxi fare I hadn't counted on.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
242 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

We bought 3day tickets in Sorrento station and they don't take credit/debit cards - cash only

London, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
176 reviews
4. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Just as an update in case it helps others, there is no problem travelling at weekends and it is cheaper on the train for a day pass. We didn't bother with the artecard in the end as it tied us into 3 days of hectic activity and would have only have saved a few euros. There is an opportunity to buy a 20 Euro pass at either Herculaneum or Pompeii ticket office which covers entry to both sites plus 3 other minor ones over 3 days. We didn't as queues were short in October but definitely would to avoid queueing in the Summer. You would need to buy train tickets on top but they are very cheap anyway so a good alternative to the artecard if you don't plan to go to Naples museum too.. Incidentally, try to avoid queueing at Sorrento train station for tickets and buy them from a newsagent instead in advance. The queues are long and the men behind the counter were rude and unhelpful. The man serving us would have kept our change and eventually just threw it under the partition when my husband stood his ground. Often tickets didn't work in the barriers ( magnetic strip) and you must validate them or risk a fine. In bigger stations you need to find someone to mark it and let you through the barrier but in small ones if you can't punch it in the little orange boxes then write the time and date on as the train approaches. Tickets are sold in minutes and waits can be long after you arrive so that made sense for onward travel. Most people were kind and helpful but it is a shame that a few can be dishonest so be alert.

Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
5. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Be careful at the Piazza Garibaldi train station, try to have the correct money and check your change! Twice the ticket seller kept back €2 change from me. It happened on the first day and I didn't realise straight away, I checked my change the next day and the same man had done it again (older man 55-65 with grey hair). Other tourists then said he'd done the same to them. When I challenged him he 'pretended' it was a mistake. His strategy is to give you a lot of small coins so it's harder to count it quickly and because it's so busy they are hurrying you to the next person in line. He is giving the company a bad reputation and social media (Facebook, Twitter and tripadvisor) are going to mean that more and more tourists are becoming aware of this scam. It's actions like this that make tourists wary of visiting Italy - we assume we are going to get ripped off everywhere we go. This is theft, if he does this to every tourist he is making a lot of money and he doesn't care. It's a shame as actually it's a great service, frequent, cheap fares and easy access to all the main tourist sites but it's stuff like this that just makes you feel that Italy is still steeped in corruption.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
29,105 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

On a first visit to Rome about 20 years ago I was shocked when the clerk on the metro stole money from me by this kind of change hustle. I expect petty thieves and pickpockets; I really didn't expect people working for the state on the metro to be in on the grift.

It is a good idea to buy tickets at Tabacs when you can so you aren't rushed and to also know what they should cost and have exact change. I have had this kind of official scamming happen more recently in Spain. I haven't encountered it in Paris -- but in Italy we have had restaurant bills ludicrously padded (especially when I traveled with my 80 year old mother, not so much when I traveled with my husband) and in Spain short changing occurred here and there.

janettravels44

www.janettravels.wordpress.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45,657 posts
7. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Good to warn people, yes: but, yeah, I never go there thinking I'm going to be ripped off everywhere. If I thought that about there or anywhere, I'd not go. Being aware of possible stuff like this and being cautious generally serves me fine - believing I'm going to be a victim every single moment? Nah - because it's simply not true.

I've used the trains there many times and nothing like this has happened to me so while it has to others, it doesn't mean someone should travel with an unreasonable amount of paranoia.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
8. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Thanks for the heads up! I'll be going there next month, and it's good to know so I can be aware and make sure I count my change!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

Thats why locals always give the correct amount and avoid Corso Italia on cruise days.

10. Re: Be careful when buying Circumvesuviana train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 11, 2016