We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rome-sorrento bus service

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rome-sorrento bus service

I saw a previous post about a direct bus service from rome to sorrento, (marozzi?). doeas anybody have information on prices and bookings etc. or any other useful tips?

Ideally we would like to avoid Naples, so any advice would be appreciated.

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

I would like the same information thanks

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Siena, Montalcino
Level Contributor
3,772 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

See www.alfonsoamare.it/italiano/marozzi.htm

Belfast, N.Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

Is it possible to book this bus online? the website is in italian, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

I've looked at the site and it only shows the timetable, no prices

Gradyville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

A couple of years ago, my daughter and I went from Rome to Sorrento. This is not the easiest of treks. We arrived in Rome, and went in town to the train station. We took the train to naples, circumvesuviana to Sorrento, and taxi to hotel. This was really tiresome. First of all, Italian trains run on their on good time. Secondly, train stations tend to be pickpocket heaven. In addition, you need to drag your luggage down a steep flight of steps (no escalator) to get onto the circumvesuviana. For our return trip, we decided to try the Marozzi bus. What a much better alternative! The only problem is that the bus schedule is extremely limited. Most of the year, the bus only runs once (either direction) each day.

I cannot remember the exact time we left (current schedule is available online), but it was very early - perhaps 6:15 - 6:30 AM. We were concerned about walking that early while it was still dark, but were comforted by the concierge, who assured us that this was not Naples or Rome, and that Sorrento was quite safe. She was right.

We purchased our ticket from AVI Travel (Agenzia Viaggi Internazionali), located near the corner of Piazza Tasso and Corso Italia, if my memory serves me right. I believe we paid about $12 or so per ticket. Tickets need to be purchased ahead of time. I would recommend you not wait until the last minute, since seating is limited. If you are standing in the Piazza Tasso, you can probably even see the agency from a distance. I would think that Marozzi bus tickets might be available at other agencies, as well.

The bus pick-up (then.....) was at the flags (When you get to Sorrento you will understand what I mean........In the center of the Piazza Tasso, there is an display of international flags. You can't miss them). This is where the bus loaded in the morning.

The bus driver was courteous, on time, and loaded our luggage. The bus was new-ish, a very comfortable, air-conditioned coach which took us to the Tiburtina terminal in Rome.

What a shame that the schedule isn't more flexible! I'm sure many more people would take advantage of the Marozzi bus.

Gradyville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

oops---typo. Cost of the ticket, as I remember, was about $21.

dwr
thornhill, ontario
Level Contributor
249 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

Do you remember how long it took you by bus. Our time is somewhat limited so it would be helpful if you know how long by train, compared to the bus ride. thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

Thanks for the information, but I only need it from Rome to Sorrento and my plane arrives at 12.15pm so it looks like my only option then is to catch the train

I enquired about a driver and it costs 400 euro, that is a lot of money for us as the australian exchange rate to euro is .59c

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

Thanx a mil for all the helpfiul replies everyone and ilovetotravel for all the pick up points and ticket outlet info etc.

Travelling at 6 in the morning is early alright but at least we'd get to avoid the midday sun and the road would probably be a bit quieter.

Thanks again :)

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rome-sorrento bus service

www.alfonsoamare.it/english/marozzi.htm says it leaves the piazza at 6 and arrives at 9 at Rome