We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Scottsdale, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Hello!

I am spending 2 nights/days in Sorrento in about 2 weeks and want to be sure we make the most of it. There will be 4 adults, and 2 children (ages 11 & 13). Given the short time we will be there, I would love some suggestions on what to see and do. Are there certain restaraunts we absolutely need to try?

If it helps in regard to location, we are staying at the Bellevue Syrene. How difficult is it to get to Capri, and is that worth part of a day, or full day even?

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
3,305 posts
230 reviews
1. Re: 2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Spend some time exploring Sorrento itself - the main part of town and the Marina Grande. Otherwise it depends on your interests - Pompeii or Ercolano if a little archeology and ancient history is of interest - both easily acessible by the local train service, Positano and the Amalfi drive by local bus for the scenery or the isle of Capri by regular ferry or hydrofoil service from Marina Piccola.

Do eat at Da Delfino on Marina Grande - excellent local cuisine and friendly service from this family run restaurant. For excellent pizzas go to Pizzeria Aurora on Piazza Tasso or to La Fenice on via degli Aranci.

Roxbury NJ
Level Contributor
476 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: 2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Pompeii visit a must..Capri was a zoo but worth it

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,661 posts
3. Re: 2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Pompeii and or herculeneu is a must and I am sure the kids would love it,both are easy to get to by the Curcumnesuviana train,Capri is also easy to visit, lots of ferries every day from the port in Sorrento.and from Ana capri there is a scary chairlift to the top of mount Solarno that the kids may enjoy,check it out first cause it scared the sh*t out of me.

there is a 10 pin bowling alley on the V S.Antonio (not the S.Antonio Square) which is up near the Hilton hotel,it is very run down,but a friendly place the kids may enjoy of an evening.

Lake Worth, Florida
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: 2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

Hi,

We just arrived a few days ago from Sorrento and had a wonderful time. We stayed 3 days there. The first day we arrived late so all we did was go down to the Tasso Square and have dinner. Across the street from the Tasso Square is the famous Mill. I can't remember the name but I do recall reading about it on one of the tourist books. It is beautiful to see at night with the different color lights and then do return to see it during the day time. The kids will like it but it does make you a little weak at the knees since it is quite deep. My kids are 5 and 11 and they had a blast in Capri. We left Sorrento at 10:45 am on the jet boat to Capri and then we took a boat to the Blue Grotto, which a cave under the mountain, but you can only go in with a small row boat. If you get very sea sick, I would not recommend it. There are two tours that go to the Blue Grotto, one takes you to other Grotto's and all around the Island of Capri, and the other will only go to the Blue Grotto. We did the Blue Grotto only so that we could have more time in Capri. When we returned to Capri we payed a taxi driver to give us a tour, by now we only had two hours to tour Capri. The driver was great and took us to Marina Grande,Marina Piccola and Anna Marie. It was worth the trip and the kids loved it. Next time we go to Italy we will try to stay in Capri for a few days so that we have more time to explore and to swim in their beautiful beaches. I recommend that you try to leave Sorrento earlier and take a taxi back to your hotel when you arrive because you will be very tired to do more walking. Our last day in Sorrento we went to Pompeii. We had our own rental car and if my husband would have asked for directions at the hotel we would have not gotten lost for 30 mins, anyway we all enjoyed Pompeii. Unfortunetly we were only able to tour for about three hours since my five year old got very tired and hot. We did not hire a tour guide since we did expect our daughter to get tired and have to leave early, but I am sure we would have benefitted from it. When we returned we were very tired and the kids wanted to jump in the pool, after that we took showers and dressed for dinner. Check out the next day was at 10 am. We did not have to be in Naples till later that day, so we left the hotel and took a drive to the Amalfi coast which was spectacular but also alot of what you would see driving to Sorrento along the coast line. We did not feel it so necessary to tour Sorrento because we saw so much of it just on our drive to the hotel.

We were all sad to leave Italy and hope to return sometime soon.

Have a great trip.

Undecidedmom

5. Re: 2 Days in Sorrento, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, August 13, 2009