We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

Hit there,

I' m planning a trip and gathering all the info i can find, i' m not really convinced where to set my base, Sorrento, Amalfi or Positano??

We are a couple travelling for our wedding anniversary!

Suggestions?

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

Hi

Sorrento is a big town compared to Amalfi and Positano, and is a great base to explore the whole region with regular buses, trains and ferries. The jewels in the crown are usually considered to be Pompei, Herculaneum and Vesuvius which are all just a short train ride away while Capri, Ischia and other places can easily be reached by ferry. Amalfi and Positano are both small and beautiful towns, they have nice beaches and good transport links but I agree with one of the Tripadvisor experts who suggested they are great for day trips especially by boat.

However, some people love holidays in Amalfi and Positano and are not too keen on Sorrento. I don't know how long you are staying or what your budget is but if this is your first trip to the Neapolitan Riviera, I would choose Sorrento.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,852 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

How many days will you be there and what do you wish to see/do in the area? That can help clarify where you might want to stay.

If you want to stay on the Amalfi Coast, stay on the AC in either Positano, Praiano, Positano (etc) - www.positano.com has info about all the villages; Sorrento is not on the Amalfi Coast and, as noted, is a much much bigger town and has a very different landscape.

But, to me, anything less than spending 3 full days (more even better) right on the Amalfi Coast without running around elsewhere, if the plan is to solely use a place at as a base, choose Sorrento from which you can easily get to Pompei, Capri, etc

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.capri.net

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

thank you both for the feedback, i'm planning for a 5 day holiday so may be Sorrento as a base is a good idea and then daily toors around to Amalfi, Positano, Capri, etc

thanks again!!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
28,953 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

In that area, Sorrento is the logical base.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

Definitely Sorrento is the best base for a short stay!

6. Re: Sorrento,Amalfi or Positano??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 20, 2015