We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches near or in Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
117 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
beaches near or in Sorrento

Please tell what close beaches in the area that can be traveled to on a bus or other local transportation from sorrento if there are none there.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,860 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Lovely beach at Meta not too far by bus, you can see it when you arrive to Sorrento by road, when you get the first view of Sorrento its the beach which is below you,

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
839 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Sorrento itself doesn't have any beaches. You can climb down the cliff and sunbathe on decks that have lounge chairs. Some kilomemetres away, via Ponta Campanella, you can swim in a place called Bagno della Regina Giovanna. Or you can go to the Amalfi Coast, on the other side of the Penisola Sorrentina. There are wide beaches at Marina del Cantone, Positano, Amalfi and Maiori. It takes aproximately 40 minutes to get to Positano from Sorrento. You can go by bus or by taxi.

Keep in mind that beaches in the area don't have white sand. They are usually pebbly or have black, volcanic sand. However, water is blue and crystal-clear.

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Although there are no large stretches of golden sands, there are some pleasant beaches nearby,

The local orange bus Line A will take you to two beaches at Meta. For Alimuri beach get off first stop after the tunnel and walk down the steps . If you miss it, its not far to walk back from the terminus I think the beach before this is better. According to a local woman, this is called il porto or simply Meta beach. Get off before the tunnel – I think the stop is Stella Maris. There are lots of sunbeds here but also a public area of sandy beach. It’s a bit of a climb back to the bus stop

There is also a marina at Piano di Sorrento with a public beach at each end. This is also sandy. Take the train to Piano station. From the station exit turn right then right again along via San Michele. This leads to the cliff overlooking the sea. The road from here winds down but is not too steep.

There is a small area of public baach near Marina Piccola, just below the steps and lift from the gardens of Villa Communale. Its not very picturesque and It certainly gets crowded but I enjoyed a couple of hours there and the water was lovely. (late June) There is another beach at Marina Grande but I havent tried that one yet.

Line A in the other direction terminates at Capo, from where you can walk to a couple of beaches. Queen Jane's Baths is down the road where the bus backs round, past a modern church on the left then turn left at a T and follow the path down. I have not been right down to sea level here but stayed at the ruins of Villa Pollio, which is a nice place to picnic and watch the boats sailing to Capri.

From Capo you can walk to Puolo, a sandy bay with bars etc. which is popular with the locals at weekends.

Walk towards Massa (away from Sorrento) for 200 yards then go down past Hotel Dania. Follow the path till it meets the road then turn right.

My favorite beach is the small shingle beach at Marina del Cantone. Take the SITA bus to Nerano from the train station. It takes an hour but its a lovely ride and the bus terminates next to the beach. The shingle gets very hot.There are bars and restaurants here. Best to avoid weekends.

Pete.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,860 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

It is really nice down at the Punta del Capo,not much of a beach but the water looks so clear and people swim off the rocks, probably from there you could walk to Marina di Puolo, we didnt looked a bit treacherous., its the Baths of joanna by the way , or in Italian Bagno della Regina Giovanna sounds much better

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
212 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Sophie

The english version of Giovanna can be Joan, Jane, Jean or Joanna . In the case of "Bagno della Regina Giovanna " it depends which web-site you are logged onto.

Pete.

Quantocks Somerset
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Hi The marina grande in Sorrento has a really nice small safe beach in amongst the fishing boats - the best is Tony's bar where for you can hire sun loungers for 6 euros a day and great drinks and snacks. Lots of small restaurants around the harbour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

sophie,

Went to Regina Giovanna, recommended to us by our hotel.. It was about a 20 minute walk from La Minervetta. You are sitting on rocks, but the water is crystal and its not too crowded..

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,860 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Katina,

It is very nice down there so peaceful,

Notice this is another old resurrected post!!!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

Yes sophie...

Now that I keep tabs on TA, I see what you mean!!

It was so peaceful there... Its winter here down under, and not a day goes by where I don't think about bella Sorrento...

10. Re: beaches near or in Sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, October 07, 2009