We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booked Sorrento

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Booked Sorrento

After much debate and research for a much over due couple only holiday, my husband and I have booked a week in Sorrento in April.

I am very excited and know it is a bit away. However, one thing I like about holidays is the researching.

So, the prelim research has been done and I think this may be how our itenerary will go.

Monday- arrive mid afternoon, walk around the old town getting our bearings, find a nice little place to stop for a nice tea, wine, etc.

Tuesday- take the HOHO bus ( i know that some don't like this. Mhowever, my husband and I love them. We usually stay on for the whole route and then chose where we want to get to get off and explore on the second go around.).

Wednesday- off to Pompeii in the morning... Get back when we get back for more Sorrento relaxation and people watching with a bite to eat

Thursday- Capri for the day

Friday- Naples for the day

Saturday- ??? Still deciding

Sunday- ??? Still deciding

Any suggestions from people who have been?

Thanks!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booked Sorrento

No HoHo bus in Sorrento guys! Re-think Tuesday.

There is so much to do in this area. What about a visit to Spartacus' amphitheatre at Capua, the Royal Palace at Caserta, the other islands of Ischia and Procida, the total off the beaten tourist part of Naples - Pozzuoli/Baia and Miseno and don't forget the Amalfi Coast on your doorstep.

You're totally spoilt for choice so have a wonderful vacation!

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booked Sorrento

There is a HOHO service in Sorrento. The best thing about it is that it takes you out into the countryside on the Sorrento Peninsula, not always easy to do without a car.

We do not usually do guided coach trips but there is a good one to the Greek temples at Paestum which can be a bit of a pain to reach from Sorrento. It is not rushed and you do get to spend some time in Salerno which has an interesting old city centre and the Cathedral is well worth a visit.

www.goldentours.it/en/salerno_e_paestum.php

There is some good stuff in this guide including a useful town map

http://www.sorrentotourism.com/en/index.php

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booked Sorrento

PS - meant to say, if you like walking, get off the HOHO bus in the village of Termini and walk to the tip of the Peninsula, spectacular views. There is a large board by the bus stop showing the walking routes. Maybe take a picnic with you? Somewhere like Bar Rita or the Deco' supermarket, near each other on Corso Italia, will provide the fixings.

Edited: 6:49 am, September 08, 2013
entebbe
Level Contributor
33 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booked Sorrento

Hello, I did not realize there is a HOHO service in Sorrento...... Where does it operate from or do you have a link for it please? Thanks in advance.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booked Sorrento

Thanks for all of the great suggestions for our unplanned days. We are trying to balance my delight in ancient ruins and my husbands loathing of ancient ruins! LOL

What we actually liked about the HOHO bus in Sorrento was that it would take us to maore out of the way places We normally would not go and still be close to Sorrento.

city-sightseeing.com/tours/italy/sorrento.htm Here is the link to the HOHO for Sorrento.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booked Sorrento

If you decide to explore the Amalfi Coast villages - here's some info:

www.amalficoastweb.com

www.positano.com

Some photos of Positano (someone's daily photo blog and facebook page who lives there):

https:/…240194169415355

The area is very different than Sorrento -

Info for Capri www.capri.net

Edited: 11:46 am, September 08, 2013
County Durham...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booked Sorrento

Hi

We are returning to Sorrento again soon but I remember getting a red bus from the main bus station in Sorrento up to the hills past the President hotel and St Agata etc. It was quite good bit in my opinion there are so many other, better places to see especially if you only have a week. You can do the Amalfi Drive which takes you along the coastal route to Ravello and Scala via Amalfi and Positano with spectacular views. You can also get a ferry to Amalfi, hop off for a couple of hours then go on to Positano or other places on the coast.

There is another open-top bus that leaves from the main square, Piazza Tasso, and takes you to some of the main sights in Sorrento but I've never used it. We quite fancy Paestum and Salerno this year especially after reading Modemuk's excellent piece. Ischia is also well worth a visit but as far as I'm aware there is only one ferry a day from Sorrento. If you arrive at the port in Ischia Town, walk around the very picturesque port to the left, keep going down the main shopping area, Via Roma, and keep going past the beaches etc to the Aragonese Castle. It's only 10E entrance fee, or thereabouts but it's great day out and the views from the top are superb. Don't miss the Nun's cemetery and the torture chambers! Great fun. You can also get another ferry to the nearby island Procida which is very nice but I personally do not recommend it if you only have one day. If you do go to Ischia and have the time, I would get a local bus from the main bus station to Lacco Amino, Forio and the Mortella Gardens.

We've also done the Monte Cassino - Caserta trip from Sorrento with Thomson and it is another fantastic day out. Oh, the Marina Grande in Sorrento is another must. All the cafe's are great and everyone has their personal favourites but mine are Bagni St Anna and Delfino's both actually on the sea. Right, that's at least eight days sight seeing, I think you'll be returning to Sorrento again and again.

Eddie

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booked Sorrento

Oh sorry - I've only ever been to Sorrento in the off season when it doesn't run - had no idea it existed.

South Wales U/K
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Booked Sorrento

Don't miss the Amalfi coast, stunning scenery. Positano is beautiful as is Ravello. You can catch the bus from Amalfi to Ravello. I too would recommend the Caserta Palace.

Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Booked Sorrento

I really appreciate everyones suggestions. Lots on my list now to research and decide upon.