We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

Hi and Thank you in advance for any help!

I will be travelling from Sorrento to Capri in beginning of October. It looks like there is a shuttle down to Marina Piccola- I will plan on using this because we will have all of our luggage with us. Does anyone know where I may purchase tix for the shuttle- Can I do it on board?

Once at the marina, will we just be able to buy ferry/hydrofoil tix there or should I be making a reservation? If I don't need a reservation, about how much time should I allow for the process of buying tickets before the boat is scheduled to leave (are there generally long lines)?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Capri
Capri
Island of Capri, Italy
Marina Piccola
Marina Piccola
867 Reviews
Island of Capri, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

I never took the shuttle down to the port. Ask at your hotel if you need to purchase the bus tickets ahead of time like many Italian buses at the Tobacoo shops ro if you cna pay on board.

Whether there is a line to buy ferry tickets depends on the season and time of day. You don't do it ahead of time. I was there in the winter and there were no lines.

Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

Ok. Thank you. How did you get down to the port? Is it walkable with luggage?

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

As I recall, it's not very far, it's just very steep. You might be able to walk down if you don't have a lot of luggage and what you have is on wheels. When I did it, I did not have luggage, was just going for the day.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
8,399 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

As I recall, it's not very far, it's just very steep. You might be able to walk down if you don't have a lot of luggage and what you have is on wheels. When I did it, I did not have luggage, was just going for the day.

Maine, US
Level Contributor
119 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

Cool. Thank you! No, it is not too much luggage- we travel pretty light with backpacks. Sounds easy enough to walk to the port.

new jersey
Level Contributor
441 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

I'm here now... Go to the port, buy your ticket there, no reservation needed but go very early, like 8:30 am

UK
Level Contributor
3,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

There are steps down to the port from Piazza Tasso. They are to the left of the flags on the sea facing side of the Piazza.

Edited: 8:08 pm, September 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Piazza Tasso
Piazza Tasso
2,935 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
937 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

I haven't been yet. However, I have been told their is a lift/elevator down. Has anyone used it? I was told it was 1 euro.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,899 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

Yup, one eighty return.

new jersey
Level Contributor
441 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferry- Sorrento- Capri

No, don't attempt to walk with your luggage, people in general in all of Rome are very aggressive drivers, not safe! But you can use the elevator or lift to the port

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy