We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Sorrento or move?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Sorrento or move?

We extended our tour by three days mid April in Sorrento. Trying to decide if we should stay there and do day trips, or move to another town for two nights , perhaps Capri? Our last night will be in Naples. We will stay at hotel central with the tour. Maybe we should just upgrade in Sorrento. Any thoughts? Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,837 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

I would stay in Sorrento best hub for getting around the area, it is a bigger Town so more going on , it is early in the season, don't know where you a actually staying whether you should up grade,

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

Agree, Sorrento is the best hub for getting around via bus, train & boat for day trips. Capri requires a boat to the mainland (and back) for day trips.

Upgrade? Which hotel?

MA
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

We will be staying at Hotel Central in Sorrento, which is in town. Would you suggest moving to a hotel on the water to leave us with an amalfi coast feel?

Edited: 7:24 am, February 13, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,837 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

The Hotel is well reviewed and central, I don't personally know it but the photos look good, as Sorrento is built on a plateau , Hotels are not on the water, and Sorrento is not strictly Amalfi Coast, but a lovely Town , I think I would stay put,

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
867 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

A frequent suggestion on this forum is to see Capri "after all the day-trippers" have left. We did a day trip from Sorrento in 2010 and found crowds of tourists and lots of school kids. This year, we plan to stay on Capri for 3 nights to get the feel of the "Real Capri". You may want to relocate to Capri at the end of your Sorrento stay for a couple of nights then take the ferry back to Sorrento and the local train up to Naples.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

Adding to TrippleTimes excellent advice, you can take the ferry/hydrofoil from Capri to Naples, there's no need to return to Sorrento.

In Sept. 2011 the hydrofoil was about 1 hr and 17 Euro. The schedules can be found on either of these websites for Capri.

www.capri.net

www.capritourism.com

MA
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

Thank you so much for the advice! One concern, I keep reading that they cancel the ferries in any rough seas. What would happen with our hotel reservation........would you be concerned in mid-April?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

If you mean "would they cancel your hotel reservation in Sorrento" because of rough seas: The answer is no. We were in Sorrento for 5 days last may...no cancellations. But the week before in Positano ferries were cancelled one of our days there. April is iffier than May...one never knows.

MA
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

No, sorry. I meant in Capri.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay in Sorrento or move?

Hi! I'd consider to visit the flegrean fields and Pozzuoli (and spend a night in Pozzuoli).

It's an (almost) unknown pearl, a Volcanic area (visit solfatara volcano), lakes, the youngest european hill (monte nuovo), archeologic and historic sites (Cuma), Baia's castle

www.incampania.com/en/itinerari.cfm…

From Pozzuoli's port you can catch the ferry to Procida and Ischia, more authentic islands than Capri (that is surely lovely but too touristic).

Pozzuoli is also a lively city with an intense nightlife, restaurants and bars.

my 2 cents ;)