We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pompeii recommendation

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
358 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Pompeii recommendation

We are traveling from Rome on the train to our hotel in Sorrento. Would you recommend stopping at Pompeii on the way, or go on to the hotel? We could go to Pompeii on another day, but how much extra travel time would this involve?

We check out of our Rome hotel around 9am and catch a 1030am train. So a little over 1 hour to get to Naples and then catch local train. So we wouldnt get to Pompeii until probably 1-2pm. Would that be trying to squeeze in too much on a travel day? I've heard Pompeii can be exhausting.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Karen

Saint Simons Island...
Level Contributor
202 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pompeii recommendation

I vote a lovely afternoon in Sorrento then back on the train the next day for a trip to Pompeii. Get there early to avoid the crowds and use the audio guide which is excellent. If you are going during the summer, it will be hot!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,974 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pompeii recommendation

Should want to stop on the way to Sorrento to visit Pompeii, there are luggage storage facilities at Pompeii.

Train www.vesuviana.it

Edited: 4:20 pm, February 07, 2013
Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
671 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pompeii recommendation

It would not require any extra travel time, as the Circumvesuviana Railway-line to Sorrento stops at the "Pompei - Scavi Villa Misteri" Station along the way.

From Naples the Circumvesuviana train takes approx. 40-45 minutes to Pompei, approx. 60-70 minutes to Sorrento.

So you could get off from one train at Pompei, leave your luggage at the storage facility, and after the visit you can continue on another train onwards to Pompei.

You can do it if you feel up to it. As the trains there are un-reserved, you could just decide on the day when you arrive in Naples if you want to stop in Pompei or not, depending also on weather.

New York
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pompeii recommendation

I think it also depends on the time of year you're traveling. There is no shade in Pompeii and it can get scorching hot in the afternoon.

I've been there early June a couple times and by the afternoon I was done from the heat. If you are going in the summer perhaps wait until you can arrive first thing in the morning so it won't be as bad.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pompeii recommendation

We've not yet finished a visit to Pompeii without being well and truly exhausted!

And even in May (it is May, I believe - from your other posts?) it can be gloriously hot here - so, personally, I'd not want to be dragging luggage around afterwards...

The LLOs aren't at the station but within the site - they're marked with yellow 'suitcase' symbols on this zoomable map, which has the Porta Marina at lower left - not so very far from Pompei Scavi station, on the "Linea Napoli-Sorrento" as they show it:

pompeiisites.org/allegati/Pompei_12051505333…

I'd suggest going direct, to enjoy that afternoon in Sorrento - and calmly making an early start for Pompei, free of encumbrances, another day!

Two, sometimes three, trains an hour - and a ride of 30 minutes or so between Sorrento and the site. Expect a few small changes from this winter schedule, but they should run rather like:

vesuviana.it/web/…202012.pdf

Start here if rechecking nearer the time - or if that one won't open:

www.vesuviana.it/web/it/orari17settembre

Peter

PS With so many things changing through the season, giving dates is always a help - for instance, you're not by any chance visiting over the first weekend of that month?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k61…

Here's my rough and ready travel time map, which certainly shouldn't be relied upon for what's sure to be a crazy day!!!

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,266 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pompeii recommendation

It takes 30 min from Sorrento to get to Pompeii scavi stop.

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pompeii recommendation

What would mid september weather be like for visiting Pompeii, and how long does it take for the visit please?

would it be better to schedule it in for early morning?

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pompeii recommendation

Should be lovely, mostly!

Here's how Ischia - about 25/30 miles away - has looked that month in recent years:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/pics_sept

Whilst a day's not long enough to see it all, just a couple of hours can be exhausting..... but if you can fight through the Italian, there are suggested tour routes (supposedly taking 2 hours, a half day and a full day) here:

http://www.pompeiisites.org/Sezione.jsp?titolo=Quanto+tempo+hai+a+disposizione%3F&idSezione=58

(You'll perhaps have to copy and paste that to your browser's address line!)

... which go with the map available on that page.

Start as early as you reasonably can, since it may well still be quite hot - or not, some days!

Peter

County Galway...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pompeii recommendation

Peter,

Ischia looks beautiful Thank you. Would a days visit to Ischia be enough for us , first timers, and is there much to see, or would it be a beach day?

Many thanks.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pompeii recommendation

My pleasure!

Lots of people make their first visit here on a day trip - indeed, we did so when we'd chosen the nextdoor island of Procida as a holiday base (handy for Naples etc, but much less urban)... only to find ourselves sneaking back for a crafty extra week in the September of that same year.

From Sorrento, there's this handy service:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/131364851

2013 times still TBA, but rarely very different to those...

Ischia's not huge, and the round-island buses take some 90/100 minutes to do the circuit. With a daylong ticket (€6 or so) you can hop on and off as often as you wish, and use others to reach places like the Castello Aragonese here in Ischia Ponte.... or, if you prefer, head straight to one of the beaches!

These are perhaps the highlights:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/iscstars

For more details, try starting here:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/beginisc

... and perhaps download one or two past copies of the island's mainly bilingual visitor magazine - from:

ischianews.com/it/…2.html

(Put the words... Ischia day trip .... into the search box at the head of this section for lots of previous exchanges, including some more specific requests!)

Or if you'd prefer someone else to take care of the arrangements, these people use that same hydrofoil service for their weekly visits - charging about €35 per person over the cost of the return journey by sea...

http://www.goldentours.it/en/ischia.php

Peter