We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Tax

Tourist Tax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, February 07, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Tax

But, that's just 12 euros per person - doesn't seem that high to me given that cities are starving financially in this economic crisis which is why is has been instituted throughout the country. (I think I'm just used to actual high taxes given in NYC, hotel taxes are about 15% plus on top of the base room fee).

You may want to personally confirm with the hotel itself to be 100% you have the correct information.

Eichstätt, Bayern...
Level Contributor
680 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Tax

Other Countries have had these tourist taxes for Centuries.

The Seaside Resorts of Germany on the North and East Sea have had the so called "Kurtaxe" since the end of the 19th Century. I believe it was somewhere around 1.5 Deutsch Marks in the 1990s and before the Euro was introduced.

The City of Dortmund (which is in the Ruhr) has a tourist tax of 5% on the price of accomodation. Now one might argue who goes to Dortmund as a tourist...

The Thermal City of Baden-Baden (close to the Black Forest) has had a "tourist tax" since 1507. Currently it's €3.20

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Tax

Recently Lucca instituted the tourist tax, starting April 2013 based on the cost per night of accommodations:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187898-i832-k6108…

Rome, Florence & Venice are based on the star rating, as are some other Italian cities.

p.s. Your post pertains to Venice, however, its posted in the Sorrento Forum.

Edited: 5:35 pm, February 04, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,513 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Tax

While the UK doesn't have local tourist taxes, it charges VAT on hotel bills at 20%, whereas Italy charges 10%. So even with the Italian local tourist taxes, UK hotel taxes are considerably higher, albeit disguised.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
24,763 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Tax

I am paying local taxes for a cheap hotel room in nowheresville Kentucky in February of $12 for one night -- I'd sure rather be paying a couple of Euro for the same crummy room in Venice.

It does seems shame though that these taxes are added on rather than folded into the room price; one of the joys of European travel is booking lodging and then paying what it actually states it costs -- in the US there are often 2 or 3 sets of taxes on hotel rooms sometimes adding 20% or more to the base cost.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Tax

Personally don't think it's expensive - just a shame that Italy has to state these costs rather than incorporating it into the room rate. Same with not including wifi and a room safe in accommodation. We have even had to pay for sunbeds in high end Hotels by the pool in Italy!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,220 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Tax

I think that hotels have this as a separate cost because it could be increased at any time by the local council.

If you have to pay for wifi at a hotel in Italy, you are booking the wrong hotels. The past 4 years, every hotel we have used in Europe has provided free wifi.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,798 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Tax

We first became aware of this tax last March. The information we were given then was that the tax is payable from 1st June - 30th September and that children up to the age of 14 were exempt. I don't know if the rules have changed in the last 11 months...

Edited: 8:45 am, February 07, 2013
South West England...
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Tax

To Maudsters,

Many thanks for your (constructive) reply where some have commented whether its right to complain. I just wanted to confirm if it was applicable or not.

I was able to establish MY hotel charged all year round (many only charge in summer months) they charged €1 per star rating, mine is a 4 star where some hotels limit it to €2 even if star rating is higher. I am treating my 2 daughters + 2 son-in-laws for a 4 day break (total €48) and want to be able to give them funds to cover the cost (which can only be paid on departure).

It was the inconsistency that caused me concern but issue now resolved.

Again many thanks.

Edited: 11:14 am, February 07, 2013
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,513 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Tax

In Venice the tax is charged to hotels all year round, though there is a low season rate. The tax is charged on the Italian star rating system, which sometimes differs from those used by tour operators and booking websites. Hotels may choose to charge their customers a lower rate or none at all, and absorb the costs elsewhere.

If you want to see the full and rather complicated details for Venice, they are at …venezia.it/flex/…48016 where the current rates payable by hotels are accessible within a download immediately below the section headed "From October 1st, 2012 new amendments to the tourist tax regulations".

I suspect most replies were trying to reassure you that you weren't being ripped off (stimulated by your comment 'a bit steep'), rather than criticising your right to complain.