We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

Due to time constraints, (where a over night, might not be an option), is this doable in late July/August?

I am thinking (with a driver), to leave Sorrento, stop in Positano, move onto Alamfi, and then head back to Sorrento by ferry? That is one view we would truly love to see!!!

Thank you,

Sheryl

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

This is a common day trip, and you don't need a driver. You can take a ferry for each leg, or the bus that runs along the coast from Sorrento and stops in all the towns.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

Thank you MelissaD, I really appreciate you quick response!

I would like to look into how much a driver costs, as I did think that it would add another perspective to our day, but a ferry there and back sounds great too!

Thanks so much,

Sheryl

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

We used www.gianpierofiorentino.com for this trip with elderly family.

Air conditioned people carrier for 5, English speaking driver (he talks a lot!).

Full day tour along the Amalfi Coast with plenty of stops for photos. We drove past Positano, visited the Emerald Grotto (waste of time - personal opinion), went to Amalfi, up to Ravello, on to lunch in a Trattoria high above Positano then back to Sorrento. He basically organised the itinerary for us to accommodate mobility problems etc.

If you decide to do it then would suggest you spend some time in Positano, Amalfi and defn. Ravello. Skip the Emerald Grotto and the lunch in the hills (even though the food was great and the views amazing it takes quite a bit of time out of your day).

Your idea sounds ideal to me as the coastline view is stunning from the water and you can tailor make your own trip.

www.sorrentocars.com are also excellent and usually very competitive on price.

As suggested you could do the AC independently which we normally do when we visit as a couple. Local bus to Amalfi, change to go up to Ravello, local bus back to Positano then ferry back for a different perspective of the coastline.

In the heat of July / August think I would go for the air conditioning!

NBB.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

We are wanting to travel from Sorrento along the coast in May 2013.

The websites I have looked at are either in Italian (with no English option).

Can anyone tell me which water transport is available from Sorrento and which town(s) along the Amalfi coast it stops at?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,021 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

newboldbobs,

I appreciate your suggestions, sounds exactly what we are looking for and yes, air conditioning would be a must! LOL

Thank you!

Sheryl

UK
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

princess1Melbourne

It is too soon for next year's spring/summer timetables. Going by last year you can get to Positano and Amalfi by sea from Sorrento. However, as to how often they will run it's impossible to predict because services the last couple of years have been fewer than in the past. There was also one daily sailing to and from Ischia in the season. So I'm afraid it's a case of wait and see.

Sorrento to Capri is a year round service.

There is also this very popular mini-cruise along the Amalfi Coast. Again it's wait and see for next year.

www.goldentours.it/en/blue_mini_cruise.php

Or you could rent a boat and DIY

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187782-…

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,828 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

Water transportation from Sorrento to Positano and Amalfi:

www.alicost.it

Look at the schedules in late April and early May. No services during the winter months.

The hourly SITA bus runs year-round, from early morning to early or late evening (depending on the season).

www.sitasudtrasporti.it (see table 5070)

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

(Check schedules again shortly before you leave for vacation)

Edited: 10:43 pm, December 29, 2012
Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

modem UK.

Thanks for that information.

I shall look into the cruise closer to our departure time

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

Thanks for that information GAC.

Trouble with the alicost site is that it does not have an 'English' option!

I shall have to find someone who can translate the page!

Regards

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip from Sorrento to Almalfi and back?

BABB4,

I agree!

There's nothing to stop you organising with your driver to drop you off at the ferry station in either Positano or Amalfi rather than doing the drive back - it is the same coastal road so same views obviously. The water would be a great option.

You could either travel first to the furthest point from Sorrento - Ravello, explore, down into Amalfi and explore then back to Positano which you would pass by on your way, explore there and then catch the ferry.

Or you could do Positano on the way, then Ravello and Amalfi and ferry back from Amalfi.

With hindsight wish we had done one of these two options for the folks benefit. We have seen the coastline from both aspects several times.

As mentioned in the earlier posts you would have to make sure of the ferry schedules closer to the time to tie in.

Enjoy!

NBB.

Edited: 2:14 am, December 30, 2012