We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

4 posts
Save Topic
Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

I am travelling and staying in Sorrento fory honeymoon and will be making a trip to the small village of Laviano.

Its really difficult to get information about the place and would preferably like a guide to help us explore etc. My grandmother was born, lived & worked here and moved in the 1950s.

Is anyone able to help??

Regards

Rickie

3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

Hello Rickie,

My parents are from Laviano and moved to the UK in the early 60's. I've been there quite a few times and still have relatives.

There's not a lot of information on the place available, it's relatively small and tucked away in the mountains. The original town was devastated by an earth quake in the early 1980's which killed around 300 inhabitants causing many to leave permanently.

On the bright side, the town has been rebuilt and looks fantastic. The best time to visit would be late August when they have a religious festival to commemorate the Virgin Mary. I believe it's fairly quiet the rest of year.

I'd advise you hire a car from Sorrento as you may struggle with public transport, there's no train station I'm aware of in the vicinity. You're best option for a guide book would be a general guide relating to the Campania Region. The best places to visit between Sorrento and Laviano that I would recommend are Pompeii, Paestum and Salerno. There is a Norman Castle in Laviano, and I believe that it's been restored, it recently contained an exhibition of how the town looked before the earthquake. (don't know if it's still there).

Please let me know if you need any specific info

Rob

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info. I'm aware of the earthquake, my grandmother gave land back to her relatives a few years later. I have seen pictures of how it was rebuilt. Do you know of any local historian/guide that we could speak with whilst we were there?

Unfortunately, we will be visiting in June. Have seen pics of the festival on instagram, it looks amazing.

Are there any particular points of interest, in Laviano?

Ive been told it isn't an affluent town and not a great deal of employment in the area - do many people speak English?

Regards,

Rickie

Edited: 7:16 pm, January 20, 2013
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

Rickie,

I'm not aware of many people being particularly fluent in English within the town and think you would struggle to find a guide unless you arranged one in Sorrento (which I'd imagine would be quite pricy)

The only point of interest I can think of within Laviano itself is the castle, which wouldn't take long to look at. There is very little else I can remember within the town (maybe a couple of bars and a restaurant?).

You're right about its affluence and lack of employment. It is quite a long way from a major town and has very little industry in the area. This has caused most of it's inhabitants to move to the north, or to migrate to other countries.

There was a story a few years back that the local mayor was offering around 5 000 euro's to every couple that had a child in Laviano, the lack of a young population there had become a major concern. (I think it's sorted itself out now thankfully)

I wouldn't expect too much from Laviano itself, it's a beautiful town and worth visiting for an hour or two because of your ancestry. Unfortunately there will be very little for you to do or see there unless you intend to catch up with family.

It may be worth contacting the local town hall through the its website to see if they could suggest someone locally to show you around. You shouldn't have a problem asking in English as they're bound to have someone could assist within the building.

http://www.comune.laviano.sa.it

Regards

Rob

Warwick
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

Ricki - I have read your posts and agree with Bob. I visited laviano a few years ago to look up my grandmothers family. I was fortunate to find Family still lives there and run some of the local shops. It is a beautiful village in the mountains. If you find family, you will enjoy an afternoon with them, and they will be thrilled to see you, but if no family, you only need an hour or two to check out the town. It is a good idea to stop at the town hall - they will look up your family records and even see if you have any cousins, etc. still in the town.

Enjoy and cherish, it's a wonderful thing to do!

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

@samdyl @BobNapoli

I'm due to fly out in just over a month. I'm going to be staying in Sorrento, so my original plan was to hire a car or travel to Salerno and see if I could get a train or bus to Laviano.

What is the easiest way to get there, would you say hire a car, or is it easy enough to go by public transport?

Regards,

Rickie

Warwick
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

There is a train from Salerno that goes to Contursi, which is not too far from Laviano. That is the only form of public transportation that I know of. If you go on line to the Italian rail website you can see the schedule from Salerno to Contursi. Perhaps from there you can get a cab to Laviano. But I am not positive about that and then you would have to worry about getting transportation back. Contursi is a mineral spa town, but not too big.

I hired a private car service which was a little costly, but worth it. Good travels to you!

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

Yes, would agree with Sam. Probably better to hire a car. Dependant on where you're staying, it may be worth asking staff if they know of anyone locally that would be able to take you there for a few hours. May work out cheaper if you can negotiate a price.

8. Re: Laviano, Salerno, Campania - Has anyone been there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 03, 2014