We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento in April 2013

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
239 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento in April 2013

Needing a little help in deciding which hotel to go for. We are a family of four, my wife and I with two teenage sons (16 & 14) this will be our first venture to the Amalfi Coast therefore looking for somewhere with good links to Naples, Pompeii Vesuvius etc. Ideally we would like a central hotel with views, wifi, breakfast and hopefully a pool (being that we are here the beginning of April understand many pools will still be closed) can anyone give us guidance, keep finding wonderful hotels within budget only to find they're a 20 minute drive to the town centre..Many thanks Paul

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,417 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

Sorrento is a walking town and you can check hotels www.venere.com

Flying into Naples airport, transfer bus to Sorrento www.curreriviaggi.it Arriving by train into Naples, transfer to the lower basement train station for the train to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.vesuviana.it

Bus operates from Pompeii to Vesuvius.

Bus Sorrento to Amalfi, Amalfi to Ravello and Amalfi to Salerno

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5110.pdf

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5120.pdf

Amalfi coast ferry www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com www.capri.net

Naples - Sorrento ferry www.alilauro.it

Train from Naples or Salerno to Paestum and the Greek temples www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

www.sorrentotourism.com/en

www.amalficoastweb.com

Campania region info www.italia.it/en/home.html

Edited: 4:59 pm, December 23, 2012
Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
239 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

Thanks Nurioopta for your very informative response, in light of the fact that we intend to do a number of excursions as mentioned, would you advise a car rental from Naples airport, naturally it wont be needed for our Capri excursion but looks beneficial with the other intended sights, I guess it would also make sense with some of less centrally based hotels to Sorrento, any advice greatly appreciated.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,552 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

Driving can be quite precarious in the area, parking is almost non existant ,

the pubic transport system is good, not alays a good idea to have a car,

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
443 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

Parking is difficult in Sorrento and driving looks stressful. Public transport is excellent; the Circumvesuviana train goes from the centre of Sorrento to Naples, calling at Pompeii, Herculaneum, Vesuvius, etc. Cheap and regular it is much easier than driving and you can have a glass of wine without worrying! Naples, Capri and Ishia can be reached by ferry from the port in Sorrento (again, an easy 10 min. walk from the centre). The Amalfi Coast drive is the only trip which can be busy on public transport in high season, but taxis and coach tours are available at a reasonable price ~ lots of recommendations on this forum for private companies.

I would stay in central Sorrento, close to the Tasso. Again, lots of recommendations on this site for hotels within 100 metres of the centre, such as the Maniello hotels, Antiche Mura, etc. Pools tend not to be heated, so may bit a bit bracing in April!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

An idea of your budget per night would be helpful. Central Hotels with views come at a premium.

You will get many suggestions once people have a ball park figure.

We have visited in April and were able to sunbathe by the open but as usual unheated swimming pool. We were very lucky with the weather.

Public transport links are excellent from Sorrento so no need for a car.

NBB.

Eastbourne England...
Level Contributor
239 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

Thanks for all your responses, having watched a number of YouTube videos of driving in the area coupled with the lack of parking leaning towards public transportation, my default option is always to hire a car just in case, however, I am aware of the shortage of parking & scooters all over the place I can see it getting pretty stressful. I have found a cracking deal just out of Sorrento town centre at the Grand Hotel Aminta, booked direct, so much cheaper & although a little reliant on their shuttle service feel it ticks most of the boxes.

UK
Level Contributor
3,190 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

You could hire a car for the odd day or two when you are in Sorrento and get a feel for the driving conditions etc. There are several places in town eg Avis, Hertz plus local companies, so you could shop around to get the best deal.

Edited: 1:06 pm, December 31, 2012
8. Re: Sorrento in April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014