We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorrento to Naples by ferry

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sorrento to Naples by ferry

hi all,

I am taking the overnight ferry from Naples to Catania in mid December. I will be making the trip from Sorrento.

instead of taking the train to Naples, i am thinking of taking the ferry/hydrofoil from Sorrento to Naples.

appreciate if anyone can help with my queries :)

1) Is there luggage dropoff at Sorrento Port i.e Marina Picolo? Thinking of dropping off the luggage then walk around the port before the ferry ride to Naples.

2) The Sorrento ferry dropoff at Naples, and the place where i board the overnight ferry to Catania. These two places are in the same area port correct? Do you know how long is the walk in between?

3) I was doing a search online. the latest ferry from Sorrento to Naples is at 1625 is by Alilauro. Is this ferry quite reliable?

Thanks all!

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

It will take you about 5 minutes to walk around the Marina, it is not very big. I have not seen any left luggage facilities down there or elsewhere in Sorrento for that matter. Apparently the Hotel Nice, up by the station, did offer this service at some time but it is now closed for the winter so that's not a possibility.

The Alilauro service is as reliable as the weather lets it be! You will need to keep an eye on the weather forecasts, also their site will show which services have been cancelled due to bad weather.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

I don't know whether I'd risk it in December. Certainly not by the last ferry unless the weather was very very good. By the time that ferry arrives in Naples it is going to be dark. Would you be comfortable with that?

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

The walk between the Naples Beverello Dock (hydrofoils) and the ferry dock is about 8-10 minutes. There is also a shuttle bus, but I don't know if it will be operating in December.

You can always take the Circumvesuviana train to Naples, then a taxi to the ferry port.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

hi all, many thanks for your replies!

ModemUK, thanks! oh only 5 mins? I read somewhere that you need to take a bus down to the Marina. Hence i was contemplating to bring my luggage with me.

Hi Appia670 and GAC, i wanted to travel by ferry precisely cos it will be dark when i arrive at Naples. I heard that it is not that safe at the Circumvesuviana and Naples train stations when it's dark. And also to minimise the travel from the train station to the ferry. (My overnight ferry leaves at 9pm from Naples.)

If it's good weather, kindly advise if the ferry option is a better one?

And do i need to purchase the hydrofoil ticket from Sorrento to Naples in advance?

thanks again!

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

<<If it's good weather, kindly advise if the ferry option is a better one?>>

There is no definitive answer to that. I can only repeat what I would do.....I wouldn't leave it till the last hydrofoil. Hydrofoils have been known to break down, and the ferry companies have at least been suspected of making excuses and cancelling crossings if there are not enough passengers.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,193 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

You may find this discussion and subsequent links helpful!

Naples to Palermo:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k5739…

Vagabonda

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

IF the weather is good and IF the hydrofoil operators tell you that the boat is DEFINITELY going to depart (and will not be cancelled), then, YES, taking the hydrofoil to Naples-Beverello is a better option than taking the Circumvesuviana train (faster, avoids the hassle of taking a taxi from the Naples train station to the ferry port, etc.).

IF things go wrong, would you have enough time to take a taxi from the Sorrento Port to the Circumvesuviana station, then the train to Naples, then another taxi to the ferry port???

Being low season, I would indeed be concerned that the hydrofoil operator might cancel the crossing if there are not enough passengers (using a pretext, of course, such as mechanical problems).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

thank you thank you :)

Just saw from the Alilauro website that the hydrofoils to Naples are suspended due to adverse weather. :( :(

Will definitely check that morning if the hydrofoil are indeed departing at the time. If not, i will take the train to Naples, then cab. Or is there a bus service directly to Naples ferry?

if i take the cab, may i know how much is the estimate cost from the Naples train station to Naples ferry?

thanks again!

GAC
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

There is no direct bus from Sorrento to the Naples Port, as far as I know.

A taxi from the Naples central train station to the ferry port will cost around 12-15 Euros.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,193 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sorrento to Naples by ferry

There is no regular bus service between Sorrento and Naples, but the Circumvesuviana runs bus service after the last train very late at night at 23.00.

vesuviana.it/web/…202012.pdf

Vagabonda