We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Hi, we are currently staying in Sorrento and are planning to get the circumvesuviana train to pompeii in the morning and then on to Ercolano to visit Herculaneum. Of these two places where is best to get a bus up to Vesuvius? Can this be done comfortably in one day if we go early enough? Thanks in advance.

Lommel, Belgium
Level Contributor
114 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

it depends on how many time you want for yourself on the sites... we spent 5 hours on the pompeii site and almost 2h 30min at herculaneum.

when i'm checking my pictures i see a gap of almost 4 hours from the last herculaneum picture till the picture that we are waiting for the train back to sorrento. what did we do in those four hours:

- walk from herculaneum back to the station

- had a quick meal (pizza) near the station

- waited 20 minutes for the vesuvio express

- up and down to the 1000m parking lot on the vesuvius

what i suggest: we used the vesuvioexpress service and i found it ok. we had 1h 20 minutes on the top and it took us around 45 minutes to walk up and down from the parking lot. if you want to have more time at the top, walk the whole path around the crater, i suggest taking the bus. i know there are busses from the pompeii scavi station but i'm not sure if there are from herculaneum.

Edited: 4:04 pm, September 24, 2012
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

It can be done in one day - but it you wont have enough time to see all of Pompei. We were there in July and had originally planned on doing it over 2 days, but with a threatened train strike, we decided to do it in one day.

We took the train from Sorrento around 8.25 and got to Pompeii just before 9. On leaving the train station, if you go left there is a ticket desk selling tickets for a shuttle bus and 4x4 to Vesuvius for 20e (incuding enterance to the cater). The bus left at 9am and the 4x4 brought us as far as any vehicle can go to the crater. From there is was a 15 minute or so walk. We had about an hour at the top (which is plenty) and we back down in Pompeii station at 11.30. Pompeii itself is just down the road from the station and we spent 3 hours there 11.30 - 2.30. We then took a short break for food and took the 3.30 train to Herculanium, arriving there around 4. (herculanium site is about a 5-10 minute walk from the station. We finished there at 5.30 and were home in Sorrento around 6.30.

It was a long day (espcially in the heat) but we saw an awful lot and it is doable if you are pushed for time.

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

I wouldn't recommend trying to do Pompei, Herculaneum and Vesuvius in one day - you won't see a lot and wouldn't enjoy any of it. You will need the best part of a day to see Pompei alone. You could do Herculaneum and Vesuvius in one day though.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Thanks all.

We ended up going to Vesuvius from the Pompeii Scavi station.

Advice to others - When you arrive there will generally be a big queue for the 4x4 bus ticket office - IGNORE THIS.

A 'UNICO Campania' bus goes about every half hour from outside the station. This is one of the big bus companies for the area and for 10 Euros you can buy a return ticket.

NOTE - You buy the tickets on-board direct from the driver.

The journey up takes about 50 minutes where it drops you at the carpark (and the journey down is a bit quicker)

www.unicocampania.it/index.php…

Anyway, after this we got back to Pompeii and walked around it in the Afternoon, spent about 3 hours there. Didn't have time to do Herculaneum in the same day to be honest but we had a great day.

Thanks for the help.

Edited: 7:09 am, October 01, 2012
Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Hi Gary

Just curious about the bus you took. If the bus went to the car park (presumably you mean the first large car park?) - how did you make your way from there to the top of the crater - was there another bus? and did you have to pay extra to get into the crater?

My parents are going next year so just want to compare your journey to the one we took in the bus / 4x4 and the overall cost and time taken etc?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

We walked....

It's about 45 minutes to the top of the crater. We're a reasonably fit 30 year old couple but there were lots of 60 year olds doing it as well. Just wear good trainers and you'll (they'll) be fine. You can buy walking sticks as you go through the entrance, should you really need them but I didn't really have any problems doing it.

Not sure where those 4x4 buses go up, as we didn't see any of them, despite walking around the top of the crater. The good thing about the UNICO Sita/Campania service was that you don't have a time limit to have to get back, as the coaches arrive every 30-60 minutes so as long as you get back to the car park for the last coach you can spend as much time going around the top of Vesuvius as you like.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Thanks Gary

My parents (or rather mother) would probably stick to the bus & 4x4 we took as it takes you further up so less of a walk. There would be no way to convince her to take a 45 minute walk over a 15 minute one :D

Good to know all the options though!

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

Its a nice walk, there's a few little shops on the way up and some great photo opportunities.

9. Re: Sorrento to pompeii, Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius in a day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 14, 2013