We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Which Sorrento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Hi, we are looking at getting married in Italy in 2014. My sister in law had a bad experience when she booked her wedding through thomsons, so we have been looking at Thomas Cook, but reading online all I see is bad reviews but they are all from years ago! Has anybody got any recent reviews on booking a wedding through thomas cook?

England
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Hi,

We have booked via Thomas Cook and although I havent got anything really bad to tell you I also havent got a good word to say about them either.

They havent been easy to work with, very slow not easy to pin down and the help they give very limited. The actual people in the shop have been great but you also have to deal with the wedding department back at HQ.

If I had my time again I would have booked the holiday via them and sorted the rest myself.

Sorry I couldnt have been of more help but Ive still got my fingers crossed for my wedding working well next year!!

Cheers

James

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

thanks James good luck with all of your plans! its so hard I keep hearing mixed reviews on both agents but didnt want the hassle of dealing with a wedding planner :s

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Hi lilbec7,

We used Thomson for our wedding in Sorrento last year and we can only praise them. We got married at villa Fondi.

The UK wedding team were very helpful but the actual coordinators based in Sorrento were fantastic! We had contact with the Sorrento coordinators as soon as our date was confirmed and they provided information, advice and answered questions via email from day one (12 months before the wedding). They always responded within 28 hours if not within a couple of hours.

We booked all the extras/special touches including reserving our reception venue at the foreigners club through them. We were not disappointed with anything.

When we met with Rosaria (our dedicated wedding coordinator) once we arrived in Sorrento she went through everything we had discussed via email and made final decisions and arrangements. I felt completely at ease that everything was in order and this was a surprise for the control freak I am! We were not disappointed. Our day went very smoothly, we were completely relaxed and enjoyed our amazing day. This is with a big thanks to Thomson amf their dedicated wedding coordinators.

I can only comment on my experience in Sorrento but it was an A star service.

Good luck

Paula

We had an amazing day and Thomson

Edited: 4:29 pm, September 13, 2012
nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Hi Paula, how long was it until your actual wedding date was confirmed once you had booked?

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
203 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

We booked just as the new season brouchures for weddings had been released (June) and were told that due to the busy period it would take about 6 weeks for them to confirm our date and time. We actually only provided one date and time and at exactly 6 weeks we received an email from the wedding coordinators based in Sorrento confirming our requested date and time. A day or so later we received a letter via the UK wedding team confirming the same thing.

We booked our holiday and wedding package and then once the wedding date was confirmed our guests started to book. Thomson explained this was the best way to do it because if they coulnd't get our requested date they could change our holiday free of charge but couldn't for our guests.

England
Level Contributor
71 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Sounds better than Thomas Cook. We were orinally told that we would be told the time of our wedding when we got out there for the holiday!!!

We have since, after many requests, got a time but they wont put it down on paper for us only verbal. Makes me worry!

James

Plymouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

Hi,

my partner and I booked our wedding through Thomas Cook in April this year for april 2013. We have a party of 36 travelling with us to Mexico. We have booked the whole group and our wedding with TC.

All I want to do is make you aware of the issues we have had, I am not saying this will happen to you and your family but please be aware when making your decision.

From day 1 we have had problems with them. I wont have time to list all of the 'nitty gritty' but i will explain about the major problems that have occurred.

We were advised that the legalisation and translation of our documents had to be done upon arrival in resort. After researching ourselves, we found this wasnt the case! Also we should have received a specific document that needs to be sent off a minimum of 3 months before our wedding date which we only found out about yesterday! Thomas Cook have not made us aware of this and if we hadnt researched this ourselves we would be turning up in Mexico next april and not getting married!

Furthermore, Thomas Cook have received a large amount of money from our group for the holiday as well as an extra fee for a wedding package (in excess of £45,000) and have point blank refused to arrange any bit of our wedding! We were advised that with a destination wedding you arrange all of the details upon arrival in resort. So why are we paying a large amount of money to Thomas Cook for a wedding package when we have to do all of the work?

The most alarming problem we have come across is that Thomas Cook are not able to tell us what our guests have paid to date, what their remaining balance is and have on numerous occasions REFUSED to give out receipts upon payments.

I have no intention of ever booking another holiday with Thomas Cook and to be honest our final balance is due in 8 weeks time. We are running out of time and are getting no answers from them. I just hope that they can rectify these issues so that we not only get the service for which we have paid for but not let down 36 of our family and friends.

I really hope that any bride and groom NEVER have to go through what we are experiencing.

Good luck with your planning.

nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
80 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

thank you for your honest reply, i am so sorry you have had to go through so many issues it seems on everything i have read and on other forums also hardly anyone has anything good out of Thomas Cook. i think our decision has been made to go with Thomson, havent they even given you any rep info to contact anybody out in resort to already get the ball rolling to arrange everything out there for you i thought an abroad wedding was supposed to be half the stress! good luck with all of your wedding plans, i hope everything goes well once you are finally out there. x

Plymouth, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

No they have not provided any information like that. Luckily, I am part of a forum with lots of previous and future brides getting married in the same resort. They have been a god send!

I'm glad that you have made a decision and I would say the right one! congratulations and again happy planning !!!!

10. Re: Sorento wedding - Thomsons or Thomas cook?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, December 15, 2013