Most Drive reviews on the Tripadvisor websiterefer to organised tours of one sort or another, however it is possible to complete the Amalfi Coast Drive on the local SITA buses and it is every bit as enjoyable. If you want to try this version, here are some useful hints and tips....
1. Start your journey at either terminus, in our view Sorrento to Amalfi is best.
2. As with all buses in Italy you need to purchase tickets in advance. You will need an all day ticket for this trip which will get you both ways if that's what you decide to do. Tickets can be bought at Tobacconists, many hotels also have then. Stamp your ticket when you get on the bus.
3. Our recommendation would be to complete the whole journey in one go rather than getting on and off (you can do that on the way back)
4. Get as early a bus as possible, we always get the 9:00 or 9:15 from Sorrento
5. Queing is an "art" in Italy.. There is usually someone "policing" the queue, but if they are not there, you're on your own so make sure you get your fair place in the queue
6. If you do want to get off in Positano make sure you get off at the correct stop.... It's a long way to walk down from the top of the hill, ask the driver to tell you when to get off
7. When travelling from Sorrento, sit on the right hand side of the bus, on the left if travelling from Amalfi
8. The buses have air conditioning but if crammed full can get hot, make sure to take plenty of water as the journey takes almost two hours.
9. A trip to Ravello is well worth the relatively short extra bus ride (caught from the terminus in Amalfi) which is, of course, included in the price of your ticket. In addition to the standard bus service there is a "Red Bus" service which costs €3 each way, however your All Day ticket allows a free journey one way.
10. If you travel Sorrento to Amalfi by bus, consider coming back by Ferry either directly to Sorrento or with a stopover at Positano. This will cost you extra but means that you get to see all the views from both the drive and at sea level.
The experience is not to be missed - enjoy!