We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

When my husband and I stayed in Pompei for 4 days last year, one of the highlights of our trip was a quick drive down the Amalfi coast with several short stops along the way, including one at M.I.S.S. Bellvue (http://www.missbellevue.com/) inlaid wood shop/factory, where we really hit it off with the manager, Michele. We are planning a trip back in December, and we'd like to purchase a dining table from Sorrento, and quite possibly from Michele and M.I.S.S. Bellevue. Does anyone here have any experience buying from them? Is there anywhere else in Sorrento you'd recommend over them? Thanks!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

I am going to answer my own question here. I don't know why I doubted my own experience to start, but Miss Bellevue is THE place to go as far as I am concerned when it comes to buying inlaid wood furniture in Sorrento. We placed an order for a large customized dining table with Michele Pepe for a fraction of the price we would have received elsewhere. The factory is located on SS 145 just before you get to Sorrento, so probably easiest to get to if you have your own car or someone to drive you. Of course, I still have 6 months or more before it arrives, and I'll include an update here if the topic hasn't been closed by then. In the meantime, it is definitely a factory worth checking out.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Since you are so interested in wood inlay I thought I would suggest to you the Museobottega Della Tarsialignea in Sorrento. I stumbled into this gem -tucked away on Via S. Nicola a few steps from Via Tasso - and would highly recommend it. The history of the production of wooden inlay is layed out in four floors of a fabulously renovated 18th century family Palazza. At the start are historical photos, paintings and prints of the area to give you a feel for early Sorrento as seen through the eyes of the local artists. Then the furniture and other treasures of the inlay artisans and masters are displayed - incredible works of art with informative panels describing the craftsmen and the School of Art collections. Breathtaking. The contrast between this historical establishment and the tourist shops surrounding it is especially ironic. And the fact that the museum was empty of other tourists when I visited it and the shops were crowded is even more unbelievable.

After touring the museum, visit the Duomo if you haven't already, to witness it's intarsia - the 14 stations of the cross are depicted - even if you are not religious it is a must-see for the wood inlay art.

Good luck with your table - you will have a magnificant souvenir for sure !

TG

Brindisi, Italy
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Have you guys received your tables? Our Issues is that we never received the tables two years after the order.

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Was this from MISS Bellevue? No, we haven't received our table yet, but since we only ordered it a month ago, we don't expect to see if for another 6 months since it's custom. If something does go wrong and we don't see it, I expect we'll be back in the area in the next 12 months anyway and we'll stop by to see what's up.

Have you tried calling? And since you're in Brindisi, could you drive up and see what's going on?

And TrippyGirl, we badly wanted to get to the Museobottega Della Tarsialignea, but we ran out of time. Just another reason to go back, right?

Fort Wor
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

I wish I had viewed your posted earlier. Have you received your table? Are you satisfied with your experience. I have also ordered a custom table and you appreciate you sharing yuur experience.

Fort Wor
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Did you finally receive your table after 2 years? We also ordered a table in July 2011 and have not yet received ours that was promised to be delivered January 2012. 18 months later.....no table and we paid in full at the time of oder!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

No, we have not received our table, but we just ordered it the last week of November. Have you tried contacting Miss Bellevue to ask?

Culver City...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

Well I hope you get your table. We are still waiting for our shipment of items that were already made when we were there in Oct.2012. All they had to do was ship the order. We bought and paid( cash -big mistake) for 2 inlay pictures (700Euros) that were on their wall. They were of the same couple 40 years different time. Our fellow companions also bought and assortment of music boxes. Since that time their web site has shut down and they have not responded to our emails.

We would not reccommend them to anyone.

Good Luck!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
40 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

At this point, we are having trouble contacting them at all. They are not responding to email, and calling just gets us a disconnected message. We are considering a charge-back on our credit card now.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: M.I.S.S. Bellevue inlaid wood- any experiences?

There is usually a time limit in which you can request a charge back - I'd call your bank today and ask them what that limit is and whether it has already passed. One my banks used to have a 3 month limit of time in which to make such a request but I don't know if it has changed as I haven't made any such requests in a long time.

Good luck.

Get answers to your questions about Sorrento