We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel tipping protocol

merseyside
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
hotel tipping protocol

hi

We have splashed out on a week's stay at the Grand Hotel Royal in Sorrento. Could anybody advise on the customary tipping policy in this hotel please? I'm thinking of maid service--we would normally leave a tip at the end of the week. Would this be ok? Similarly what about service at breakfast and porterage?

We are quite happy to tip for good service but don't like getting into embarrassing situations as to when and how much so advice from regular patrons of this hotel would be really helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Hotel Royal
Grand Hotel Royal
1,718 Reviews
Sorrento, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Palazzo Marziale
Palazzo Marziale
#1 of 101 hotels in Sorrento
Magi House Relais
Magi House Relais
#2 of 101 hotels in Sorrento
Maison La Minervetta
Maison La Minervetta
#5 of 101 hotels in Sorrento
Peak District...
Level Contributor
69 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel tipping protocol

We always give €10 per day in the restaurant (b&b), €5 in the room, pool and bar per day (one room, 2 guests)

This is for the Ambasciatori (sister hotel of the royal)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel tipping protocol

Really..."reallyinthe know"? Not that I agree totally with "sydneynick" and his "There is no need to tip anybody for anything in Italy!"...that he posts about once a week. Dear, and most people here on TA blame the American's for the ruining of Italian customs!

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Manchester/Naples
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel tipping protocol

"Really?" not entirely sure how I'm expected to reply. But yes, really. The wages in hospitality in Italy are low compared to the cost of living (having worked in this industry there, I do know) therefore many of the staff will rely heavily on tips. Just because it isn't customary to tip in Italy, doesn't mean you shouldn't (in fact, many Italians will tip, my parents both do as did my grandparents).We always get treated exceptionally well at this hotel, from the porters to all the restaurant staff, and I think one should show ones gratitude. If this needs to be in a monetary sense, so be it.

I always leave a 20% tip in restaurants too...

I'm not sure what you mean by your last comment, or indeed if it is directed at me, but given that I live most of the time in Italy and am from Naples myself I find it unlikely that I'm to blame for "ruining Italian customs".

Edited: 12:21 am, February 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Italians
Italians
137 Reviews
Chieti, Italy
Naples
Naples
Manchester/Naples
Level Contributor
113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel tipping protocol

For some reason I'm logged in via facebook. Not sure why, that site is taking over the world!

merseyside
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel tipping protocol

Thanks to those who replied to my query. This seems to be something of a sore point for some but, as always, the forums offer some useful tips as well as some lively debate!

UK
Level Contributor
3,204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel tipping protocol

Our rule of thumb is about 2 euro per night for the chambermaid left on the last day and about 5 euro per night for the dining room, we usually only eat breakfast. Given to the head waiter at breakfast on the last day/or the evening before if he is not usually around in the mornings.

If the service was rubbish we leave nothing.

Edited: 6:58 am, February 28, 2012
Burntwood Staffs UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel tipping protocol

We leave the same as modem.

There is no obligation or pressure to leave anything.

Burntwood Staffs UK
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel tipping protocol

You also asked about portrage.

I give 2 euros every time I ask the porter to do something for me as I go along.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
4,434 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel tipping protocol

We leave 2 euros each day in our room for chambermaid service.

2 euros per bag for porterage to & from room.

We then tip Restaurant & Bar staff at the end of our stay in euros in an envelope to head bar man & head waiter depending on service received - usually excellent at the Royal! Guests don't generally leave tips in the snack bar or Restaurant per day as everything has to be charged to your room & paid for on checkout.

Great Hotel - our favourite.

Enjoy.

merseyside
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel tipping protocol

Once again, thanks for taking the trouble to reply---all very helpful. We feel easier about things now and looking forward to our first visit to Sorrento. Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento