We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

five days in sorrento

birmingham, england
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
five days in sorrento

My husband and I and our two daughters (15 and 12) have five days staying in the Hotel Michelangelo in Sorrento. The girls want to visit Pompeii and other sights. I have heard that unless you have a guided tour round Pompeii ie booked through your tour operator, some places remain locked and unseen, but the tours run by our tour operator are very expensive. Is what we have heard true? Is there a cheaper way of seeing everything in Pompeii?

I see that some people have used a private driver. How much does that cost? Also, will we be able to give Pompeii a thorough going-over in half a day, or do we need longer?

Could anyone please suggest other things we might do? Is Sorrento worth reserving a day for shopping there? (remember we have two teenagers!!) Is there anything else that they/we might like to do. We all like historical stuff, but the girls might like some other type of thing too. The holiday is at the end of March so we won't be sunbathing!

Thanks very much in anticipation.

1. Re: five days in sorrento

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 pm, January 17, 2005
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: five days in sorrento

Just a warning about taking the bus as a major form of transportation. The roads in the area -- especially those to Amalfi and Positano -- are very winding. So anyone prone to motion sickness would probably not care for that mode of transport. However, the circulumvesuviana (sp?), which is a train that runs from Naples to Sorrento, is a great way to get to Pompeii and Herculaneum, both of which merit a visit. And you can catch ferries and hydrafoils from Sorrento to get to Capri, Positano, and Amalfi, all good day trips. I think you'll be pleasantly suprised by the temperate clime. I was in the region with family at the end of February and beginning of March, and most days were in the mid-70's. As for shopping, Sorrento has its share of tourist shops that sell painted ceramics and limoncello. And there are some clothing and leather goods stores. But I didn't see much in the way of high fashion.

birmingham, england
Level Contributor
4 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: five days in sorrento

Thank you both for your advice which I've carefully noted. As I've never been to italy before let alone this particular region, your information and advice is very welcome! Please keep it coming!!

the-borrower

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: five days in sorrento

You may want to take some day trips to Positano and Capri from there. Capri is very nice and has some shops. It seemed like I saw more shopping there. We actually liked Capri much better than Sorrento. We stayed in Positano and that is very nice too.

Boat from Sorrento to Capri is about 25 minutes. To Positano about 35 minutes. The boat was more enjoyable than the bus in my opinion.

If you are all very active....some of the best views in Capri are on some of the hikes listed on the tour map you pick up at the information center in Capri near the marina. We did some hikes (I was wearing comfortable sandles so they were not strenuous - just lots of stairs and hills). It was the prettiest part of the island in my opinion.

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
4,676 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: five days in sorrento

If you want to do Pompeii take the train from Sorrento station and it stops at the gates. You can get a pocket guide with your ticket (or you can buy a larger book) and you can wander at your own pace and if you have got the stamina you will see it all, but it will take a whole day. . If you take most of the tours you will see less than 25% of the site. I prefer Herculanium as it is better preserved and not as crowded and again you take the train, with a 200mt walk from the station and you can do it in a half day. Handbag shopping is a must for the ladies in Sorrento, along with inlayed woodwork. Ferry to Amalfi & Capri from Sorrento ( set of early in the morning to miss the crowds) The Villa of St Micheal on Capri is a must, but read Axel Muntes book before you go (The Building of San Michele). Do the Blue Groto but only in the morning. Chairlift to the top of Mont Sllaro will give you graet views. If you want to hit the credit card really hard go clothes shopping in Possitano for the girls. Ravello (Get the bus from Amalfi) is also worth a visit. Ive been visiting the bay of Naples for over 30 years since I was a teenager and still cant keep away. Hope this is of help, enjoy your trip.

Sunny Isles Beach...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: five days in sorrento

I agree...great handbags in Sorrento.....and I also got some handmade sandals there that I adore....sold also in Capri, but more expensive there. Shopping in Capri is the most stylish but also the most expensive...although I saw a fabulous pair of stretch suede boots there that unfortunately I did not buy because I reconciled that I live in Miami....in the menatime, now I've had to make numerous trips to NYC in the blizzardy weather! Of well, hindsight is always 20/20! The gorgeous boots were under $100 too. The things I bought in Positano were not so expensive....especially if you are accustomed to Madison Avenue prices.....magnificent locally made gauzy beaded beachdresses and these really neat things called "pareopantaleoni"....a cross between a pareo and pants. Wandering the back streets in Sorrento for bargain ahnd made items is really fun....but do go with your teenagers...easy to get lost.