We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Stoughton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Hi, We arrive (overnight flight) in Sorrento in the afternoon on August 7. After checking into our hotel in Sorrento is it possible to take a bus to Ravello or Positano for supper and be able to view the coast? Next day - Pompeii and Herculeum. Last day go to Capri and Blue Grotto in the morning. We have to check out of the hotel in Sorrento and go to Naples by 14:00. What do you think?

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Hi liberolibera,

I would suggest doing Pompeii and Capri on the same day. Leave Herculaneum to the last morning. Herculaneum is smaller than Pompei and can be visited comfortably in a morning. You'll be on the mainland and not have to worry about getting back.

The Circumvesuviana railway from Sorrento takes you straight to Herculaneum (Ercolano) , it's only a few stops and the site is just opposite the station, a five minute walk.

Capri - I would do the same day as Pompei -besides, two archaeological sites in one day may be a bit much !

You can take the same Circumvesuviana Railway from Sorrento to Pompei - just a few stops - start out early, before the crowds get there, and take drinking water and sun protection. It's a big site and you'll get thirsty.

But also - if you're catching a ferry to Capri, you don't want to be pushed for time with a 14.00 deadline to get to Naples on that last day. You could do Sorrento to Capri and Capri to Naples by ferry on the last day - but that would mean checking out of the hotel before you go to Capri and taking your luggage with you ! And you still have the possibility of getting stuck and running out of time.

Hope you have a great holiday, Best wishes, Nolana

2. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:37 pm, May 30, 2005
Stoughton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Thank you Nolana. Your advise was very helpful.

UK
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

You're welcome ! Let us know how you get on and what you enjoyed most. Best wishes, Nolana

J30
Europe
Level Contributor
707 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

You can take a bus to Ravello or Positano but to come back, you will need take a taxi as the last bus that takes you from Amalfi or Positano to Sorrento is at 9.00 pm.

I suggest you to go the next day to Capri, and the day of the departure to Pompei you can stop along the way to Naples.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

I think it depends on how much time you want to spend in Pompeii. If not long, you should do Pompee and Herculeum on the same day. I would not try to do a place like pompeii and capri in the same day lest you run yourself ragged. We spent 4 hours in pompeii alone and my husband could have spent longer. It is a city

Pompei and Herculeum are closer proximity to each other.

Julie

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Hi Libero,

I really wouldn't do Capri and Pompei on the same day. For a start they are in opposite directions and secondly, Pompei is so big that you will be too exhausted from walking round to enjoy Capri.

When you are at Pompei hire a guide to take you around and they will make sure you see the most important places. Although Capri is a small island, there is lots to explore and if you just want to wander round the shops and daydream (in my case) of what you will buy when you are rich, then there's lots of options. But the ski lift ride from Anna Capri to the top of the island is fantastic and can get busy from midday onwards.

If you have a look at the sita site it will give you full time tables for the Amalfi coast and you will see that it is possible to get buses late into the night home from Positano. Ravello is about 2 hours by bus from Sorrento, I would check on opening times if you are going to visit the villas. You will need to change at Amalfi for your bus to Ravello

The road from Sorrento to Salerno follows the coast all the way, try and sit on the right hand side of the bus going to get the best views.

Incidentally I think your iten is very good and very do-able. Pompei if you get a guide will only take you half a day or so and as people have said previously, Herculaneum is much more compact and so quicker. Train is best to both of these sites.

Hope you have a great time.

Ruth

Stoughton...
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

Thank you to everyone who answered my posting. I am now considering going to Pompeii late in the day (around 4:00 pm) and staying for the Pompeii at Night tour. What do you think? Would the Circumvesuviana line be dangerous late night? We (2 women, 1 child) would probably return to Sorrento around 10:00 pm. Also does anyone know if it is possible to return from Capri in the evening? The hyrofoil schedule shows the last boat from Capri leaving around 5:45. Thanks again.

massachusetts
Level Contributor
259 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

I was very weary of the circumvensia during the DAY..there were some very intrusive folk hanging around and I felt unsafe. I would absolutely not use it during the evening personally. Everyone is different, but you wouldn't get me near it at night after being approached for money while at the payphone during the day.

Julie

UK
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Amalfi experts: Is this itinerary possible?

I have to agree with Julie, I wouldn't be using the train in the evening. Pompei is too close to Naples, the passengers change from tourists to locals. And whenever you use the train make sure you aren't wearing lots of gold jewellery.

Unfortunately the ferry company doesn't do journey's very late back from Capri, though I'm sure my hotel offered late night trips in the summer, so that you could eat there.

Get answers to your questions about Sorrento