We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fornillo beach

Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fornillo beach

Hi,

Are we allowed to be at the beach even if we do not rent loungers? We would be eating at Da Ferdinando and figured we'd just use our towels to lay down. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Da Ferdinando
Da Ferdinando
466 Reviews
Positano, Italy
4 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
43,923 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fornillo beach

As far as I know you should be able to - but be aware it will not be comfortable on a towel given the beach is made up of small pebbles, not sand.

For just 10 euros for the lounger, it would make for a much more pleasant beach experience there -

Hopefully someone here will know the current situation - at least one poster, I think is there now or was just there

County Durham...
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fornillo beach

Hi

As far as I'm aware, Fornillo beach is the second beach at Positano. People were definitely putting towels down on the main beach at Positano near the ferry point. I've been to Fornillo beach and walked around the path near Hotel Covo dei Saraceni but I'm not sure about towels. According to the reviews, Da Ferdinando, has sunbeds but I don't know if they are free. Someone else might reply here but you'll get better replies in the Positano forum.

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Fornillo
Fornillo
977 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Da Ferdinando
Da Ferdinando
466 Reviews
Positano, Italy
New York
Level Contributor
2,876 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fornillo beach

I just returned and I don’t recall seeing anywhere right on Fornillo by the restaurants to put a towel. It’s all lounge chairs in front of each restaurant right up to the water and they’re all next to each other so no real open beach between. Perhaps at the end after Puppetto there might be an area, but I can’t say for sure. There is a place though which you’ll see to the left of the stairs as you’re walking down the steps to Fornillo where people hang out on towels. I went there one day just to swim when it was the end of the day and I didn’t want a lounge chair. It’s a nice cove, but as MomCat said it’s all small pebbles as well as some bigger rocks throughout the whole area. Not very comfortable to walk on, much less to lay on. From there it’s just a couple minutes walk to Ferdinando. None of the sun beds are free even if you eat at one of the restaurants. They are 10 euro each and 12.50 for front row, IMO well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Fornillo
Fornillo
977 Reviews
Positano, Italy
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,165 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fornillo beach

Yes, the northern end of Fornillo is free. I didn't rent sun loungers two years ago as I just dropped in and out for swims. A towel on the stones was fine to sit afterward and dry off but if you're planning a few hours there, then budget for a lounge.

Mentioned in this post
Fornillo
Fornillo
977 Reviews
Positano, Italy
Reply to: Fornillo beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted