We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Salerno to Positano

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Salerno to Positano

we arrive into Salerno (from Rome) by train and then have to make our way to Positano - any advice as to the best way to travel from Salerno to Positano? Ferry or bus? Travel in June

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Salerno to Positano

Firsty do you need to arrive in Salerno? If you could change your train journey to arrive in Naples, walk downstairs and catch the circumvesuvia (the local train line) to Sorento then you can either get a bus or ferry. From Salerno the busses are less frequent and the scenery is nowhere near as spectacular. While I cant be 100% sure I am prett confident there are no ferries from Salerno to Positano. Good advice we were given on this site was to consider where in Positano you are staying. If you are staying down by the water then the Ferry is the best option. If however you are staying up high the bus could be much easier. Carrying bags up hundreds of steps isn't fun and if you are travelling in peak times the queues for the little orange local bus can be extremely long. Some hotels may collect you but we soon came to realise that was uncommon and at the very most they would collect bags only. Good luck and enjoy - I had a marvellous time there and it was all I expected, and more besides.

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Salerno to Positano

Dear lisaroth,

I personally would recommend the ferry because I *always* get totally car sick when I take the bus from Salerno to Amalfi and since you need to head to Positano, you'd need wait for yet another local bus to take you there.

Here's the web site for Trenitalia, the train company which runs the trains from Roma to Salerno. Maybe you can choose a train which would help you make your next connection be it by traghetto/ferry or by SITA bus:

www.trenitalia.it

Here is the web site for the ferries. A word of warning is that the company charges €1.50 for each piece of luggage that is taken on the ferry and they charge a full admission for animals too.

coopsantandrea.com/it/…servizi.asp

I believe there is another company which runs boats from Molo Manfredi/Porto in Salerno but I believe there are fewer boats offered and it's a much longer walk from the train station.

The train station in Salerno is undergoing a huge renovation and hopefully the platform which you'll arrive will be equipped with an elevator (I believe platforms 1 and 2 have elevators and platform 3 does not). If not, descend down the flight of stairs and head out of the station. Walk straight out of the train station toward the ocean for around three blocks, the first major street being Corso Garibaldi. When you cross the last street near the ocean, head right toward the tall pole monument with I believe the Madonna or Santa Lucia mounted atop (this is Piazza Concordia and the monument should be in a huge parking lot). Behind the monument you'll see the entrance to the pier. You can go down the ramp and just keep walking until you see the bend to the right and a trailer selling tickets. I believe in June they'll also erect some white overhead coverings to offer shade in the passengers waiting for the boats. I'm guessing that in June there won't be huge lines to board the ferry so you should be ok. The ferry offers open air seating on the top floor and then covered seating in the main cabin area. The boat will make a couple of stops to the coastal cities before reaching Positano.

If you take the SITA bus, you'll need to purchase a SITA bus ticket at either the ticket windows for local trains at the Salerno train station or at the newsstand at the train station. If worse comes to worse and you cannot find a ticket, you can head out straight to the first main intersection and on the left should be a bar/tobbaconist where you may buy a ticket. Then turn right onto Corso Garibaldi and head out around 400 ft or so until you see the first SITA bus stop (the second will be around 30 ft further). The SITA bus pole has a listing of the times when the bus to Amalfi arrives. On your bus ticket, write in the section "Da"(from), Salerno. In the section "A"(to) write Amalfi. And then when the bus comes (you'll see an LED ticket reading Amalfi above the bus's winsheild) stick your arm out to flag the driver to stop. When you board, stamp your ticket in the orange or white waist-high ticket machine. A warning, all locals know that the road from Salerno to Amalfi/Positano is uphill/cliff-like while the drive from Sorrento to Positano is just as curvy but it's flat if not downhill. So just get ready for a wild ride.

The times when the SITA Amalfi-bound buses leave Salerno can be found on the following web site:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XV-1.pdf

Oh it looks like there's another SITA bus to go from Amalfi to Positano. I'm guessing maybe you can use the same ticket for that bus. I clicked the link for the Amalfi-Positano in Quadro 15 but the pdf file keeps showing the times for Amalfi-Pompei. I'll email the site to have them install the proper times.

Have a great trip!

Salerno, Italia
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Salerno to Positano

Dear lisaroth,

I goofed! If you'd like to take a bus from Salerno to Positano, you can catch the bus to Amalfi directly at the SITA bus stop outside the train station in Salerno. Also, I have a feeling that the newsstand at the station will be open (my Salernitani friends say that it's *always* open) so you can probably just buy a ticket from them (you can ask "(biglietto) beelee eto Amalfi SITA?" and they should get the hint). When the bus arrives, you can carry your luggage onboard or you can pull up on the handle/lever on the bottom part of the bus near where the bus's door opens for passengers. Then you can slide your luggage in the cavity and then shut the door closed.

Also, the fine people at SITA repaired the web page with information on the SITA buses from Amalfi to Positano and here's the timetable:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XIV-XV.pdf

As mentioned you can also take a train to Napoli and then head downstairs to take the circumvesuviana right to Sorrento (you can buy your ticket downstairs too at the ticket window or you can buy one from the Tobacconist at Napoli Centrale...say "beelee eto cheercomvesuviana Sorrento?" and that should get the message across). In the following web page for the circumvesuviana click "Napoli Garibaldi" and look for the listings for "SORRENTO" to find the departure times:

www.vesuviana.it/rete_ferstazinvpdf.htm

Then it looks like you can catch a bus for Positano right from the circumvesuviana station at Sorrento:

sitabus.it/sitabus/…Quadro-XIV-XV.pdf

Hope this helps...

Italy
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Salerno to Positano

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i5411-Salerno_C…

the best way to visit the amalfi coast and positano is by ferryboat, you will admire the wonderful scenery, enjoy the seesighting....and bring your bathingsuit....you can also stop to Salerno, great city on the coast, great nightlife, bars, cafes, clubs and discos and friendly people.

enjoy your stay

5. Re: Travel from Salerno to Positano

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, August 12, 2009