We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi/Naples day-trip?

Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi/Naples day-trip?

We are spending 3 nights in Salerno . For one day trip we are considering taking the bus along the Amalfi coast to Sorrento . then the Circumvesuvia to Naples, and the ES train back to Salerno. I"m not sure how long the bus takes, but Rick Steves said the bus ride is the best part of the Amalfi Coast. And we don't need much time in Naples - walk aroung, have some pizza.

But does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Thanks

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi/Naples day-trip?

With the SITA buses, you'll have to change in Amalfi, as there's no through service... but this should give you a rough idea of the times involved...

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/132567370

Can I offer a suggestion, if you'd like even more exploration for less of your money?

Instead of paying €16 for tickets on the ES* back to Salerno - 30/34 minutes - try to find one of the direct Regionale trains that do the journey non-stop on an unusual inland route which leads round the back of Vesuvius. That way you'll not redo much of the ground covered on the latter part of the Sorrento/Naples trip, but see new stuff.

The line's not on this map, but it may give an idea?

unicocampania.it/files/…mappa_provincia.pdf

Those services are fairly easy to spot on the Trenitalia site as they take 37-40 minutes - so for instance I'm seeing ones tomorrow at 16:40, then 17:04 and 18:12. To take one you'd need a UnicoCampania ticket, zone U5 - which costs just €4...

Both those, and the ES*, operate from the groundlevel Trenitalia platforms of Napoli Centrale station, whereas from Sorrento - on the Circumvesuviana - you'll arrive at the lower basement platforms, which they refer to as their Piazza Garibaldi station!

I guess it's going to be quite a long day - but you'll see a lot!

Peter

PS .... The Naples tourism people recently relaunched their 'Qui Napoli' magazine - which offers visitors a huge amount of useful information.

I've never yet seen a paper copy, but the PDF version is here...

www.inaples.it/public/quinapoli/quinapoli.pdf

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi/Naples day-trip?

we need a like button. this post is excellent!

3. Re: Amalfi/Naples day-trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 16, 2012