We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
70 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

Hello!

My fiancé and I are travelling to the Amalfi Coast as part of our honeymoon next June. We arrive in Rome and then have five or six days somewhere on the Amalfi Coast before we hire a car and drive north to Como.

I have lots of questions!

Firstly, where to stay? We have been recommended Praiano, as we would like somewhere a little quieter, but still with easy access to other towns. We are looking for good food and friendly service, with views and swimming. Being our honeymoon, we want something special, but as we are doing a round the world trip we cannot afford more than 100-150 euro/night.

Is Praiano a good choice? I would be interested if people thought that Ravello would be nicer for the same price? Or if it would be much better to be in a bigger town like Positano? And which hotels would you recommend in our price range?

Secondly, what to do? We may only have four full days, and knowing my fiancé at least one of these will just be a chill out day by the pool/beach! But I would like to do some sightseeing, what would you recommend as priorities, keeping in mind that we will most likely be staying in Praiano? I would love to go to Pompeii, is this too far? I am also trying to choose between Sorrento, Positano, Capri, Ravello or Amalfi as day trips...

Many thanks to you all in advance! We are very excited about our honeymoon :)

Taryn

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

Praiano would be a nice town for a honeymoon stay www.amalficoastweb.com

Trains From Rome to Naples www.trenitalia.com www.italotreno.it Click on the UK flag for current train times

Trains Naples lower basement station to Sorrento and Pompeii Scavi www.eavcampania.it

Amalfi coast buses Sorrento to Amalfi, Amalfi to Ravello and Amalfi to Salerno

www.sitasudtrasporti.it Click on Orari for Campania bus times

Amalfi coast ferries www.alicost.it www.coopsantandrea.com www.capri.net

Car rental www.auto-europe.co.uk

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Be aware of Traffic restrictions and ZTL areas roninrome.com/transportation/driving-italy

Accommodation www.venere.com www.bed-and-breakfast-in-italy.com

www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

www.sorrentotourism.com

www.pompeiisites.org

Regional info www.italia.it/en/home.html

www.discovercomo.com

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

For a "quieter" town, a little more authentic/less touristy, then Praiano is a great choice. I love Praiano, after several trips & stays in multiple towns on the coast I chose Praiano for my own honeymoon. I personally would not want to be in Positano in June, far too crowded & extremely touristy for me.

For a stay in Praiano that isn't too secluded but just the right amount of privacy, I suggest you look for accommodations in the Vettica Maggiore area (near San Gennaro church). This part of town has a lively & charming local atmosphere with markets, a beach, a piazza, bus stops & great restaurants in close proximity.

It's very easy to get to Positano on the local bus, Flavio Gioia, a comfortable 15 minute ride. To go the opposite direction you can take the Sita bus, car service, or possibly a water taxi. For Pompeii, I would do that on my transit day from the AC to lake Como. It is not easy to go to Pompeii & back in one day from Praiano, best to do that en route, and get an early start that day.

You'll have an easy time finding nice accommodations for under 150 a night I think, but you'll need to book well in advance for the best options. If you do stay in Praiano, be sure to have dinner at Vivaro's, it will be a memorable night.

Praiano has 2 nice beaches & great restaurants & wonderful local people. It stole my heart when I visited! Congrats on your wedding & wonderful honeymoon!

I rented a very affordable & well located apartment in Praiano a few years ago, of you'd like the info, let me know.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
92 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

Ravello is also nice but it's a bit out if the way as a base & I think the properties tend to really have A LOT of steps to get in & out. I would stay there if I wanted to just hole up in Ravello without a sight seeing agenda. I felt that Sorrebto was a very lack luster town. No charm. Full of cruise ship visitors & an obnoxious Irish pub. Not good for beach going either. But there are others that love it, it's very subjective.

Sorrento does have a prime position for sight seeing, Capri, Positano, Pompeii, Naples & more are within easy reach. It's a good transportation hub, which doesn't read honeymoon to me but different strikes for different folks as they say!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

I think Positano would be a better choice - more to do - more restaurants and lots of choices for hotels for all budgets. I wouldn't count on getting around on the SITA buses in June. They will be ridiculously full - and they seem to be getting worse as more and more cruise passengers hit Naples and think they'll save money/time by going to the Amalfi Coast by public transport.

@Imgtiny - I'm in full agreement with your opinion of Sorrento. I can't understand why people rave about it. I was so put off by all the English/Irish pubs and English speaking tourists everywhere. I think it's THE most touristy town in Italy.

5. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:39 am, December 24, 2013
Salerno, Italy
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

do her a surprise: a night in Capri Island : it is priceless! ;)

UK
Destination Expert
for Sorrento
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

"all the English/Irish pubs"

Just one of each of the above. That is out of the 100 plus restos/cafes/bars in Sorrento and surrounds.

Edited: 5:19 am, December 23, 2013
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,008 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

So agree Modem, Sorrento caters well for the British but manages to keep a real Italian feeling about it,

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
7,613 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

I've seen more than just two British/Irish - let's call them drinking establishments - there are also bars and places that show English football non-stop, all the cafes that feature fish and chips and English breakfasts. 'Catering well to the British' and having a real Italian feel are - in my opinion - mutually exclusive. Why do the British need to be 'catered for' anyway? Why bother going to Italy?

10. Re: Honeymoon Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:39 am, December 24, 2013