We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus connections in October

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Bus connections in October

Hi

I'm going to the Amalfi coast and Capri in early/mid-October, and I wanted to know if there are bus timetables for the SITA buses around the area available for that time. I have found some timetables that are valid for the moment, but I'm not sure if services are going to be significantly less in October due to fewer tourists, and I'd just like to see the timetables in advance if possible. Does anyone know where I can access timetables for October?

Also, in terms of travelling from Capri to Amalfi, will there be a direct ferry or hydrofoil between the two - I know this is possible in summer but October might be too late? Or would I have to go from Capri to Sorrento, and then take a bus onwards to Amalfi?

Also, what is the weather likely to be at this time of the year? It won't be too wet to be outside a lot, will it?

Thanks for your help guys.

Paul

Edited: 11:23 am, September 08, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus connections in October

You can never know with the weather - I've been there until the end of October and had mostly beautiful warm to very warm days plus rain. Just check the weather forecast a day or two before - that's as good as it gets.

I doubt the new timetables are out yet - your hotel will have the most current one when you are there - they don't run all that close to the schedule anyway, what with traffic unknowns. In all the years I have been going, it's not been true to the schedule for the most part.

It is still high season until the end of October and ferries should still be running on that route; weather can be a factor - if very rainy with rough seas, it won't run.

Keep an eye on http://www.coopsantandrea.com

But, again, close to your dates because the schedule may change some around the beginning of October.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus connections in October

Thanks for your help! I guess, in terms of the bus times, they will still be fairly frequent in mid-October on all the routes then if that is still high season? I mean, I shouldn't have to wait more than an hour or so for a bus, even if they don't run according to the schedule?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus connections in October

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5070.pdf

This is the current schedule for Sorrento to Amalfi - the new one is not out yet but check the link occasionally and see if it appears.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,737 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus connections in October

The good thing about being in the village of Amalfi is that the buses to Sorrento (which takes you to Praiano and Positano and other spots on the coastal road) originate in Amalfi so you have a better chance on getting on your first choice.

The buses are very crazy crowded and people do not wait in a line - you need to be politely firm about holding your space and not let people push past you onto the bus; they will, if they can.

If you take the bus to Positano and need to return via bus - that is one you can end up watching a full bus pass you by on the way to Amalfi as that bus will have started in Sorrento and it often reaches Positano too full to pick anyone up. I suggest you take the ferry from Positano to Amalfi if you do visit Positano (which you shouldn't miss!)

Buses can get extra crowded at certain times of the day with school kids as school will be back in swing. Check with your hotel as to the best times to NOT try to get a bus given that reality. I've been there in March and the bus was packed to the rafter with school children when I was coming back from Amalfi to Positano - as I made the mistake of not leaving earlier or later.

I know I am making it sound bad - but, in fact, it can be. There are times when it's not but more often than not, it is a challenge so just be aware of that. Ferries as much as possible -

5. Re: Bus connections in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 10, 2014