We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Hi,

I keep hearing about a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples run by Metro Del Mar but have yet been able to find a timetable, pricing or anything. Can someone please point me to a website that can confirm that this Ferry does exist and will be running in October?

The metrodelmar.com website is down.

I'm asking for October 1st. Helping my sister plan her honeymoon.

Thank you!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,911 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

No - it is not running this year (and, I don't believe it ran last year either but can't quite recall).

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Ditto MC - no ferry from Naples to Amalfi this year.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

oh boy. thanks for the response.

so is the fastest way back to Naples from Ravello:

1) Take SITA bus from Ravello to Amalfi Town

2) Sita Bus transfer for Amalfi Town to Sorrento

3) Sorrento to Naples using Circumvensuviana Train

I mean besides hiring a private driver? How much should a driver cost btw?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Driver would be probably (not sure of this year's prices) be around 120 or so euros; maybe more coming from up in Ravello which is about a 20-30 minute bus ride up from Amalfi. From Amalfi, back to Naples, it will be around 2.25 hours, maybe longer if in high season and traffic is heavy (which is likely) - so, from Ravello, it will take about approximately 2.75-3 hours - and, drivers are doing it round trip when they make these runs so prices reflect that fact.

Or, you can do the public transportation you have described.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

great, thank you MomCat1992!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Actually - there is another option - from Amalfi (if the ferries are still running when she is there which they should be but always need to check) - she could take the ferry to Salerno and then from Salerno, a train to Naples. Less public transportion hassles and overcrowded buses.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
12,984 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Or a ferry from Amalfi to Sorrento, followed by a ferry from Sorrento to Naples.

The timing is a little difficult, as there are only two ferries per day from Amalfi to Sorrento on the Alicost schedule, at 11:35 and 4:35, but if that works for you it might be easy and pleasant.

http://alicost.it/content/?id=6

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
39,911 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Oh, yes, that is an option - I just find it somewhat restricting with just two a day but it may well work for her schedule to do the ferry to Sorrento route, etc.

So! There are options. I highly recommend boats if possible as the buses get crazy crowded, pass people by when they are too full and leave a bunch of people waiting, and while car services are terrific, there is the road traffic to contend with as well as the higher price.

(That said, I always use a car service but I don't go in high season any longer - too nutty busy for me to handle)

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

She should also have a back-up plan, in case the sea is rough and the ferries aren't running, or if one or both ferry lines shut down for the season.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
58 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is there still a Ferry from Amalfi Town to Naples?

Great, thank you everyone. I'll probably plan for her to do the Amalfi Town to Sorrento ferry. Then train to Naples.