We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

We are planning a trip in late Sept early Oct. for 9 nights. We will be arriving into the Naples airport on Friday early afternoon. I was planning on taking the bus to Salerno then to Paestrum but unsure of how long we should stay there. We want to visit Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum as well. I was thinking

Paestrum-1N

Ravello - 2N

Positano- 2N

Sorrento- 4N

My husband thinks we should skip Ravello add a night in Paestrum, spend 3 nights in Positano and 3 in Sorrento. He thought Positano would be nicer.

Also does anyone have an updated bus, ferry and train schedule? Everytime I hit a link it says "can't be found"

Anyone know how the crowds will be at the end of Sept/beginning of Oct?

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

IMO you are moving around too much. Train from Naples to Salerno. I would spend the night in Salerno and take the bus or train to Paestum to see the ruins the next day, then take the SITA bus to Positano, where you would spend 4 nights. You can see Ravello (and Amalfi) as a day trip from Positano.

Then bus to Sorrento for your remaining 4 nights, from which you can see Capri, Pompeii and Herculaneum. Check the Alicost and Coop Sant Andrea websites to see if the ferries will be running in October - I seem to remember at least one of them stops at the end of September (but I could be wrong). Even if they are running, I doubt the October schedules will be out yet.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

Thank you perhaps it is best to just split the time between Positano and Sorrento (4 nights each). As far as Paestum we were thinking of saying there to see it at night. Also if we stay in Salerno we would have out luggage with us when going to Paestum the next day before heading to Positano

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

Paestum would be beautiful at night - although wandering the fields in the dark could be difficult! :-) IMO, it would be a rush to get there in time on the evening you arrive, even if your plane is on time.

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

I think then we will fly into the Naples airport and make our way to Salerno the same day, spend 2 nights there, 3 nights in Positano and 4 nights in Sorrento

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

Good plan. Be sure to visit a buffalo mozzarella farm while you are at Paestum - I love Vannulo.

6. Re: Itinerary on Amalfi Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, July 20, 2014