We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Amalfi

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Topic
Getting around Amalfi

Hello everyone,

Quick question for those who have stayed in hotels/B &Bs in the outskirts of bigger towns on the Amalfi coast line (eg. Furore, Nocelle). I plan on booking a B & B in one such location for my honeymoon but won't be hiring a car. How easy is it to travel and visit the towns around? I am particularly concerned about outings in the evenings (dinner/bars). How do people generally travel late at night?

S

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around Amalfi

What time of year will it be? In season, many restaurants offer shuttle services.

Also, since you may often be able to take the bus (or even walk) to dinner, you can plan on taking taxis home.

I avoided all of the above by staying in Cetara, a town with a plethora of first rate restaurants. The owner of my b&b actually drove us our 20minute uphill trek home a couple nights, but we just did the walk ourselves a couple times as well. Even on the main road, walking at night is not too treacherous in low season. I always carry a small flashlight to make sure cars see me, as I have stayed places like this before and always seem to end up walking in the wrong place at some point!

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Thanks for the reply! We'll be there in the 3rd week of September, which I believe is still high season.

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Ok, bumping this thread upwards. I still have a few unanswered questions. I posted the question above because I am completely clueless as to where to book my accommodation. I'll be in the Amalfi coastline for 4 days in late September. Our itinerary is something like this at the moment:

Day 1: Amalfi/Positano

Day 2: Pompei

Day 3: Capri

Day 4: Amalfi/Positano/Ravello

Currently I am looking at two B & Bs - one located 10 mins outside Positano and the other in Furore. After running through the questions posted in this forum in the last 6-7 months, the impression I got is there generally isn't much to do late at nights (clubs/bars etc) barring dinner. In that case does it make sense for me to save some $$$ by staying in Furore? Or would it be smart to opt for someplace busy & central with good connectivity (Positano in this case)? Any insights would be of tremendous help. I'd like to confirm my bookings tonight :p

S

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Based on your itinerary I would choose Positano or Amalfi. It doesn't make sense to stay somewhere else if you have no intention of spending time in that particular destination.

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around Amalfi

But is Furore really out of the way? From what I can see on maps, it seems be bang in between Positano and Amalfi.

New York
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around Amalfi

For me having to take an extra bus roundtrip everyday would be out of the way. For you maybe not.

Edited: 10:07 am, July 12, 2013
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
40,615 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Getting around the Amalfi Coast and the hassles involved always surprises people the first time because villages are fairly close to one another and it all seems like it should be simple and easy; it often is not. Buses will arrive in Furore from the direction of Amalfi or Positano already filled up and won't be able to stop to take anyone on. I had that happen even in Positano in the middle of March (low season) - bus flew past; had to wait till the next one and ended up standing the entire 45 minutes to Amalfi - which is only 11 kms but with the winding road, traffic - it all takes far longer than you think it will.

Yes, there will of course be buses that can stop and pick you up - but, you never know and it can be a pain to try to schedule anything for a specific time with that sort of uncertainty.

It's up to you - I wouldn't stay somewhere like Furore if my intention was to go elsewhere each day - it might suit you though. Everyone has a different tolerance level for hassles when traveling around - when I am on the seaside, I want - more than anything - to be as relaxed and stress free as possible.

Sorrento
Level Contributor
568 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Did you check hotels or bb in Atrani? It is walking distance from Amalfi, bars and restaurants are open until late.

Mumbai (Bombay...
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting around Amalfi

Thank you guys! I am going to stick to Positano for now. Memole, I'll certainly look up options in Atrani too. Staying close to Amalfi may save me from other hassles.

10. Re: Getting around Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, July 19, 2014