We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

Northeast England
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

After much deliberating we have chosen to visit Sorrento this year for our summer holiday - the Amalfi Coast has always been on my wish list, so as you imagine, I'm really excited. Because I have slight cerebral palsy, I know that I will be limited to the things that I can and cannot do but I'm willing to give things a go and my husband and I are determined to see as much of the area as possible. Just a few queries....... We're staying in Sant Agnello and I see that the local buses travel overland to Postano and Amalfi - should we decide to travel by bus, would I be able to negotiate my way through the towns, down to the harbour and sail back to Sorrento or are the streets too steep do you think?

Are the any disabled travel tickets/ weekly passes?

We are staying in Sant Agnello for two weeeks so we have lots of time to rest and dawdle, rest and dawdle ( and drink coffee of course!) Any tips or advice regarding buses, trains or boats would be very much appreciated. Thankyou.

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Province of Naples, Italy
Amalfi Coast
Amalfi Coast
Campania, Italy
Sant'Agnello
Sant'Agnello
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
CArdiff
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

Hi,

Sorry, don't know anything about disabled travel, but you should be fine with most of the towns. The only one that you might struggle with is Positano as it is quite steep in some parts and has alot of steps. There is hardly any flat ground.

You can get the bus to the top of Sorrento and from there most of it is pretty flat. Amalfi is pretty flat too, although does have a very slight incline the further into the town you go. Another nice village is Ravello, you will need to catch a bus up, but shouldn't see any problems when you get there. Also Maiori is easy to get around.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Sorrento
Sorrento
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Ravello
Ravello
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Maiori
Maiori
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Northeast England
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

Many thanks Charlotte. I'm sure we'll have a great time. Can't wait to see those spectacular views!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
346 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

Hi galilee - My brother has CP so I understand your concerns. If you do not already know, there is an elevator in Sorrento. The upper level and the marina level are realativly flat but the walk up or down is very steep. If the sea is choppy, getting on and off of the ferries can be a bit of a challenge so check how the "chop" is before buying your tickets. That said, travelling by ferry is lots of fun and the views from the water are amazing.

We stayed in Positano and I saw several people with mobility issues slowly taking the stroll down the foot traffic only Main Street. It is steep and long and has lots of steps at the lower portion. If you take the SITA bus you will not be in the center but up above. At the SITA bus stops there are also little orange buses that take you down to the heart of Positano (Plaza dei Mulini) or a quick taxi ride. Then you can walk down from there (stop at La Zagara for a yummy pastry - it's on your right side) and then make your way slowly down to the beach area where there are several nice restaurants for lunch. Check the ferry schedule BEFORE you get to Positano. Maybe have your hotel call the ferry line to make sure they are running that afternoon? You do not want to get to the bottom of Positano and have to walk back up (there is no bus from the beach area back up)!

We really enjoyed Positano and hope that you are able to visit. Even if you are not able to make the walk all the way down you could still enjoy visiting the area right around Plaza dei Mulini. Lots of shops and a few restarants and again La Zagara for esspresso and pastry or even sitting on their deck for a sandwich and glass of wine.

I'll keep an eye on this post and if you have any other questions I might be able to help with please ask! Have a great journey!

Mentioned in this post
Sorrento
Sorrento
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
4. Re: Visiting the Amalfi coast atlast.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 13, 2014