We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Amalfi

Looking for hotel or B & B on the coastline, ot Amalfi, any ideas or should I be looking elsewhere. All I see are high up in the hills, I can't climb all those steps many times a day. Help would be appreciated

V

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,754 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Amalfi

Sounds like a nice plan; and, I don't find you are bothering anyone at all.

I would check to be sure the hotel in Amalfi will be okay with a one night booking; sometimes in high season, smaller hotels especially prefer a few nights as a minimum but I hope you are lucky and will get to enjoy one full day and night there.

No one likes dealing with luggage. What I have done a few times in the past when I wanted to spend just one night somewhere (or two), is leave my luggage with checked luggage at the train station and just take enough in a medium size backpack for the one night. The problem right now, as Peter has confirmed, is that at the moment there is some sort of work stoppage at the left luggage facility in the Napoli Centrale train station - which has been going for quite some time now. It might be resolved by the time of your trip and that could be an option to lessen the load for just one night.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Amalfi

If you do stay in Amalfi, very probably there'll be no direct sea connection from Naples by late September... if at all this year!

But on weekdays (though NOT Sundays), the next easiest, and more economical, way to do that journey is by bus - and the SITA company have a three-times-a-day service from their harbourside 'Varco Immacolatella' depot:

www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/128061635

They set off at 09:00, 14:15 and 17:30 from Mondays to Saturdays... on a scenic ride of some 2 hours - with your baggage tucked away in the "hold" under the passenger cabin!

You could take a taxi once in Amalfi, quickly dump your stuff at the hotel and then go to Ravello, or whatever?

For timetable and route details:

sitasudtrasporti.it/public/…5020.pdf

Do recheck that nearer your travel date, although it hasn't changed for a fair while now!

No reservations, however the UnicoCampania tickets - zone U5, €4.10 each - can be bought whenever you're at one of their many outlets...

Peter

PS - for the LLO at the station in Naples, keep an eye on this... but let's hope it's all resolved long before September?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k52…

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Amalfi

Got the hotel in Amalfi for two Nights, ot cheap, but I think worth while $130 euros a night, Db Superior

got a cheap, for me at 76.00 USD at the Best Western Plaza near the airport, for the price I guess I can live with it, a King Superior room,and then I can see the sites. any ideas, what I should acutally see near Naples without wasting timeI thank you all for your help and will be in touch

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Amalfi

That's good re Amalfi!

For the BE - near the station, perhaps... if you mean this one?

http://www.plazanapoli.it/

Within the city, we covered a good number of the main attractions in this thread...

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187785-i421-k53…

For a bit further afield, take you pick from these, which are all within fairly easy reach:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/tele

Peter

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Amalfi

Peter, that's the hotel, do you have a bettter suggestion. for a hotel around that price

I appreciate so much what you do for me.I will look at all the links

Veronica

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Amalfi

V, quite honestly, I think that the hotel itself should be fine... but we nearly always come home, rather than staying in the city

The area it's in isn't the best part of Naples, although you've the big advantage of being handy for the station... why not try reading a few reviews before deciding whether you think you'd be OK there:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187785-d2672…

But if going out very far in the evening, it might well be an idea to get a taxi back?

With places in the nicer areas, you'd pay more for the accommodation - and also, probably, need taxis to the station and back, so a double-whammy on the cost; for instance, this is near Piazza Bellini, somewhere visitors seem to prefer, but in the light of the above may well end up costing you almost double?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187785-d6463…

September's a busy time, with lots of people joining or leaving cruises at the terminal in Naples... so one does rather get what one pays for... but perhaps try starting in a thread in the Naples forum - as there must be a few "half-hidden" gems?

Peter

Oldsmar, Florida
Level Contributor
672 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Amalfi

Peter, I will go to the Naples Forum, hope you follow me, I need your advice.

You are great for all this help, and I'm so worried, as I walk with a cane and don't want to be anyone's prey

Veronica

18. Re: Amalfi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 23, 2014