We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Town to Stay in ? and Do we dare to drive ?

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Which Town to Stay in ? and Do we dare to drive ?

We are visiting the Amalfi coast this June for 3 nights. We are thinking if staying in Sorrento, Positano or Amalfi. The question is which ?

Someone told me Positano is the most special but I worry about my wife who has asthma and the steps ? She is not sickly, but can get our of breath. Is Positano difficult to Walk ?

It seems to me Sorrento is the biggest of the towns (maybe its a city?) and that Amalfi may be more intimate. Please do advise. Sorranto just seems like there are more hotel options, but I think I want quaint. Does it meet that requirement ? So confused.

Also.. which ever area we do.. do we want to be in the town itself or a bit out of town looking at it from a terrace.... ? so many decisions.

Finally: I am renting a car in tuscany. I have driven there before and love it. I hear the coast is more difficult. I love driving and generally have no issues. Are we crazy to have a rental so we can drive the coast and stop at out leasure.. getting lost in the hillside villages and all ?

Please advise.

Allen

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
38,687 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Which Town to Stay in ? and Do we dare to drive ?

Why not ask him? Just show him photos and info from your guidebook and some of the many links to photos on the Amalfi coast forums here on TA and ask him; if it is just three nights and he doesn't want to go clubbing and you wan to actually on the Amalfi Coast, stay on the Amalfi Coast.

Sorrento is very different - it's up to you which to choose. The entire region is very beautiful so I doubt it will be disappointing especially for just 3 days. Pick whichever seems to offer the most of what you and your family are looking for.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Which Town to Stay in ? and Do we dare to drive ?

Momcat: thanks for your help. I will of course discuss this with my son as the trip is for his graduation. I have done much of Italy, so in most regions I can charachetrize the differences. BUt I have never gone south of Rome, so in this case, I am at a loss.

Is you had to charchterize the difference between Sorrento & Amalfi how would yo do it ?

I suspect that Sorrento is the bigger place.. maybe a real city ?

Amalfi just seems much more quaint.. i little like NIce France but only the old sections... more of a town ?

Please do let me know how you would comapre them. If we do Sorrento we will go to Amalfi & Pasitano as a day trip anywa... Not sure if its worth seeing Sorrento if you do amalfi, but please give me your opinion.

We were planning to drive from Rome via Pompei..to our destination. Is this a mistake ? I would go w public transportaiton but then I have to drag luggae into Pomepie or go tp the coast and back to Pompei...

Like I said : So confused...

Thanks,

Allen

13. Re: Which Town to Stay in ? and Do we dare to drive ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 29, 2014