We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for March Trip

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed for March Trip

My husband and I are in the process of planning an 8day trip to the Amalfi coast and need some advice/information/recommendations.

1. Would we be better off arranging flights, hotels and day trips ourselves. We'd like to stay in one place for the 7nights in either Sorrento, Ischia or Mairoir.

2. Would we better off going h/b or b/b, we don't mind either.

3. The day trips we would like are the Amalfi coast trip, Pompeii and Capri and any others recommended.

4. Would like some recommendations for hotels, either 3 or 4 stars, either bb or hub and in a centre. We prefer a smallish hotel and entertainment and pool not a necessity.

5. Where would we book our day trips?

Sorry for all the questions but would really appreciate any help and advice.

Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

For the trips you want to do I would recommend staying in Sorrento. It is the halfway point. Ferries to Capri or Ischia won't be running from the Amalfi Coast in March.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
41,942 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

I stayed for a week in March 2011 and it was beautiful, but very quiet and many places (restaurants/hotels were still closed) though most of the shops were open. It was cool for the most part - in the mid-60s, a few days in the low 70s and at night in the mid to high 40s.

Of course, weather is unpredictable so my experience may differ from what is going to occur this coming March - but it will not be warm enough to lay on the beach or swim in the sea, unless something extraordinary happens and hotel pools won't be open at that time even if it did warm up.

I am not a personal fan of Sorrento but if you do intend to go on all these day trips, it likely is the best spot to be for ferry travel. You could also consider staying 4 nights on the Amalfi Coast, the other 4 on Capri or Ischia - or, of course, Sorrento.

You can check www.venere.com to see what lodging is open and available then and look over www.capri.net for what there is to see and do on that island - as you get nearer to your trip, you will can also look at that Capri site to see the boat schedules.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

I think you will find a package holiday with Thomsons or the like will be cheaper than going independently from the UK.

We recently did a 5 night trip with Easyjet flights, independent accommodation and private transfer. We did this arrangement as we only wanted a short break away rather than a week or a fortnight. What swings it with cost is the cost of the private transfer which cost us just short of 200 euros return. We preferred this luxury option rather than making our own way on public transport, as we had never flown into Naples before and it was a first trip to the area and we were celebrating a special Anniversary.

If you want to stay in Sorrento or Ischia, both Thomas Cook and Thomsons do a package, and we have just booked a week on Ischia in May with TC. I looked at independently doing it with Easyjet, (so impressed with EJ!) but with the hassle of arranging transfers to the island, with TC it's all in and arranged for you. I was concerned about the difficulties if ferries didn't run because of weather conditions and the potential for not getting to the airport et to get home. But with TC, they sort it all out and it's included in the price. Once you have got to where you are staying, you can organise your own trips. We tend not to do tour operator excursions, but do them oursleves. From Sorrento, you can get to Capri easily by boat as well as places on the Amalfi Coast. Plus part of the fun is in the planning, I find.

With regard to food options, we tend to go B&B, because we like going out to the local restaurants, so that depends on your preference and perhaps your budget.

If you look at my reviews, you will see where we stayed on our recent trip to Positano. Capri was a fantastic day and we will be revisiting in May to do more walking on that beautiful island.

Hope this is helpful.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

Have just realised you want to go in March. Not sure if the British TO's go here in March. You will need to check. In that case you will have to go and do it independently.

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
228 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

Thank you all so much for your advice. Yes, you are correct March is probably too early in the year to go, as we are retired early May would be fine.

One thing I forgot to ask, what sort of prices are we looking up for evening meals if we went bb, which is what we really prefer as we prefer to eat out at different places.

Is Ischia a small place?

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,458 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

There's a range of prices. We were in Positano, renowned for being pricey, but we managed to find some reasonably priced restaurants and one was particularly good value with lovely food. Do your research on here, One evening we only wanted a basic meal and we shared a pizza, mixed salad, jug of house wine, water and 2 deserts and it came to 22 euros! And we didn't go away hungry. Other nights, we paid 49 Euros for meatballs and pasta, glass of wine, a pint of London Pride!!, water, 2 deserts. Another night we paid 45 Euros per head for a 4 course set meal not including drinks (it was our Anniversary). So there is a real range.

I have Ischia to research - we are having a week in early May, but I am sure there will be everything we want. It looks like a small island, but we plan to do some walking, off the beaten track, visit Procida and Capri and hopefully get some rest and relaxation in too. Good luck and perhaps we may see you there!

7. Re: Advice needed for March Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, November 21, 2013