We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

Hi, I am going to be in Amalfi with a tour group in 2 weeks. We get one free day and I would like to go to Positano during it. Is it better to take the bus or boat? Better meaning more time efficient and cheaper. Any suggestions would be soooo appreciated, even as to things to do, or places to eat. Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Tours of Amalfi Coast - Capri, Pompeii & More
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Taxis & Shuttles, Food Tours
L'Altra Costiera
Sightseeing Tours
Touring Amalfi Coast Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Wine Tours & Tastings
Excursion Amalfi Coast
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

I guess it depends on what is more important to you ...

If the cheaper alternative is more important, then take the bus. For time efficiency, take the boat.

Of course you could always take the bus there and the boat on the way back, or vice versa.

WI
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

thank you so very much. taking both is a great idea. do you have any idea about how long the trip takes either by boat or bus? also, do you know if there is such a thing as a city pass for the coast?(like in venice you can buy a pass and it gets you into museums and all the water taxis and such).

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

I would take the bus one way...you have to be on the road to fully appreciate the views and the driving on the roads there. Then I would take the boat back...you get the best of both and get to appreciate the views of both.

Havertown...
Level Contributor
881 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

Unfortunately, there isn't a pass that will get you on both the bus and the boat. You can buy a 24 hour bus pass.

The bus trip to Positano is about an hour, give or take, depending on traffic stoppages.

By boat, I believe the trip is 20-25 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
817 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

Boat both ways in my opinion 100%! You only have one day away from the tour to explore so hop on the ferry - it's much quicker (25mins) than the bus, it's Euro6 each way and dare I say more comfortable, hence a few bumps if the wind is up. And if the sun is out there is nothing like taking the sea air in the seats at the front of the boat. The bus? Unless you like hairpin turns sitting for more than an hour with people standing in the aisle... Plus on the ferry you can see all the villas up close and take amazing pictures of the coastline. Ferries are run by Travelmar and here are the times from Amalfi to Positano: 9.20am, 10.35am, 11.30am, 12.30pm, 3pm, 4.20pm, 6pm. From Positano to Amalfi: 10am, 12noon, 1.30pm, 3.30pm, 5pm, 6.30pm. Ciao!

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
California
Level Contributor
602 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

The boat is fun and affords lovely views. But so does the bus! Maybe bus there and boat back, or vice versa?

7. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:01 pm, June 20, 2008
Positano
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

I agree with amalfigirl on taking the boat both ways rather than the bus, if the timetable with the tour group permits it. Buses at the moment, arriving in Positano from Amalfi are very crowded , so you may be left stranded waiting for the next bus.

If you are looking for a casual lunch in Positano head left as you get off the ferry along a walkway along the beach (Via Positanese D'America). There are plenty of bars along the beach for an alfresco meal. The two furthest at the other end of the beach are best.

Mentioned in this post
Positano
Positano
Amalfi Coast, Italy
Amalfi
Amalfi
Amalfi Coast, Italy
9. Re: bus or boat from amalfi to positano?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, September 26, 2009