We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amalfi v Positano

Which Amalfi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney,Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Amalfi v Positano

We will be in Italy during late May and cannot decide if we should go to Amalfi or Positano.We will be there for 3 days.Can anyone offer advice.

us
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amalfi v Positano

Most would pick prettier, more upscale Positano, but the whole town is on a 45 degree slope which makes walking around miserable. Amalfi's hidden charms are better walkability, convenience to Ravello, and easier access via Salerno train station so you can avoid the whole Naples chaos if desired.

Toronto
Level Contributor
287 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amalfi v Positano

Hi Deaker - went through the same dilemma a while ago and decided on Amalfi because I found more suitable hotels at a price I could afford, it is bigger so a bit more to do (for the kids), well located for side trips to Ravelo and Positano. I think they are both great and deserve a visit but we decided on Amalfi as a base

Positano
Level Contributor
223 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amalfi v Positano

well....I cannot tell you my personal point of view because I am a local...but I just wanted to tell you that Amalfi is for sure more crowed than Positano.

In fact, it is more easy to reach and park (at least in the morning) in Amalfi for the big buses.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
203 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amalfi v Positano

I agree. On our last trip we stayed in Positano and then we realized that it would have been a better choice to stay in Amalfi or Ravello. So from our own experience this year we are staying in Ravello. Punta Civita is a B&B with beautiful terraces. Positano is too much of a hassle to get in and out, everywhere you go you have to climb lots of stairs. It is beautiful don't get me wrong, a visit is worth it. But for a place to stay in the amalfi coast and explore, Amalfi or Ravello is a better choice. Good Luck and enjoy it is a beautiful trip.