We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days with kids! help :))

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 days with kids! help :))

Hi,

We are two couples driving to the Amalfi coast from Naples for 2 days with one 1 year old each. We arrive at Naples around 11 30 am. I am trying to come up with a good itinerary that will allow us to enjoy the coast and see as much as we can but also a bit relaxed since we will be travelling with toddlers. Our base is Amalfi staying at Hotel Residence.

Day 1 - After arrival, have lunch in Naples / eat some yummy pizza. Our plan is to get to Amalfi by the evening around 5-6ish pm or later and just walk around the town and have dinner there.

We wanted to stop by somewhere before that and see one of the towns on the way.

Options we were thinking of: Go to Sorrento and check out the Piazza, beach etc. OR make a trip to Capri Islands? Or should we stop at Positano instead? Is there a place to park and just walk around?

Day 2 - is more planned.We were thinking of going to Ravello. Check out Villa cimbrone / Rufollo..walk around the town. Should we do Capri on this day instead with Ravello?

In general, where are the good beach spots along the coast where there is a beach but also some markets/shops/restaurants to explore?

Any suggestions on what we must do before we leave early the 3rd day?

Thank you in advance!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Capri is a full day trip - for the very short time you actually have in Amalfi, I'd suggest you just stay and explore Amalfi, take the bus up to Ravello and then, well, that's it. The area is small but travel time takes a lot of time.

Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
17,786 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Are you planning to pick up a rental car (or cars) at the airport in Naples and then drive into the city? If so, I'd rethink that plan. Pretty much every city of any size, and this includes Naples, has a ZTL (limited traffic zone) where you cannot drive. If you do drive there by mistake it's a significant fine that you can't outrun, they'll just charge it to the credit card you used to rent the car.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

As in Florence, you'd do well to avoid the Naples ZTL, although I think you'll find that with fines things go more like this...

Once the vehicle's identified, the authorities contact the owner - the rental company - who are obliged to pass on the hirer's details.. for which "service" they're entitled to charge their card with a modest fee.

The penalty notice is then sent to the offender's home address - for payment, appeal or ignoring, as they choose (but with additional charges accruing on as time passes).... however it's not usual for a hire agreement to empower either the car company or the city to collect the fine directly.

Naples might be an exception - I rather doubt it, having lived in the area since before the scheme began without yet hearing or reading of such an outrage.... though, not having transgressed myself, I can't tell you for sure?

If actually flying into Naples Capodichino, for a visit to the city, perhaps better to leave your belongings out at the airport and take the Alibus, or a taxi:

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/alibus

(Check the notes there re the new location of the "Quick" company's Left Luggage facility)

.... before then picking up the car later in the day - which might be a little safer / less worrying than storing them in the trunk(?) whilst it's parked there....

…gesac.it/portal/…MappaParcheggi

You'll HAVE to leave the car behind if going over to Capri, as only residents can take vehicles ashore between late March and 1 Nov, or over Xmas/New Year! Several boat lines offer trips there and back from Amalfi, but it is likely to take most of a day...

coopsantandrea.com/it/…

lucibello.it/web/…

http://www.alicost.it/content/?id=6

(Some of those schedules will be filled in further as the season progresses)

For pizza, whilst there appears to be no AVPN member in the area...

www.pizzanapoletana.org/showreg_eng.php…

.... there are pizzerias nearby where they should be just as yummy!

For example, with Amalfi, refine the cuisine choice from the list here and you'll find five - although often places categorised as restaurants will also be pizzerias, and vice versa...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187780-Amalfi…

Peter

PS... If you'll excuse a quick cut and paste:

High time it was updated (so do cross-check any and all times, prices etc!), but for more about places along both the Sorrento Peninsula and the Amalfi Coast, you may like this 170 page 'Travel Directory' to their resorts - which can be downloaded from the area's tourist website using...

costiera.it/images/pdf/TravelDirectory_En.pdf

London, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Thank you for your useful advice! We have decided we will just drive from Naples (post lunch) to Amalfi and spend the day in Amalfi. Next day we will go to Ravello. That way will keep it a relaxed slow trip.

Just a question on the beaches - what is the closest nice beach to Amalfi which is not overly crowded but has some restaurants/ area to walk around. Is it worth going to Atrani?Is it walkable from Amalfi town? Are there any other nice beaches close by? Wouldn't mind a 15-20 min drive from Amalfi too...

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,675 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

There is a large beach in Amalfi, so if you have found parking in Amalfi I wouldn't bother moving the car to a smaller town. Atrani is within walking distance of Amalfi.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
9,342 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Please be aware that driving around the AC is not simple. You can't just hop in the car and out at the other end without planning where you're going to park. The villages have no on-street parking, you have to use parking stations which can become full before 10am - and they are also really expensive. You don't say when you're travelling but even in low season, parking is at a premium. Also, bear in mind the traffic - the whole coast road can become choked with tourist buses, taxis, motorbikes flying past - I've been stuck in it and it resembled a parking lot with nothing moving anywhere. Just bear that in mind especially if you're there from May to September.

New York
Level Contributor
2,964 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Are you going into Naples just for pizza? If so I can't imagine it will be worth doing so having to figure out what to do with a car with two 1year olds in tow.. You can certainly eat "yummy" pizza in other towns. I assume you have arrangements with your hotel for parking? As Kathy and others have already written you don't just hop in the car and you're there. It's an ordeal at best.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,962 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

Hopefully, you will read up on the no-enter zones in the cities (Naples has them) - ZTLs - if you enter one, a camera takes a photo of your license plate and your rental car company then will charge you for the time they take giving your personal information to the authorities who will eventually send you a fine. These are very costly. The ZTLs exist in most cities in Italy (can't think of one without them) as a way to preserve these ancient cities and structures from the damage done by vehicles. It is not a fine, as many think, imposed only on tourists - it is imposed on anyone who enters these zones. You can google ZTL to read up on them.

Are you are aware of the amount of time it will be take to jump in the car an drive from Naples to Amalfi? Depending on traffic, it will take over two hours to reach Amalfi and it will take about 2.5 hours from Naples to Ravello, which is about 20-30 minutes up from Amalfi.

The actual distances are not much but a two lane winding mountain road crammed with buses, cars and motorbikes makes it very slow going. When you meet a bus head on - things come to a stop, you have to back up, the bus has to maneuver to be able to pass on this narrow road, etc.

I think you have a very different vision of what driving on the Amalfi Coast is really like - Parking is also a bit of a nightmare, aside from being very expensive.

9. Re: 2 days with kids! help :))

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 25, 2014