We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basilicata in April or May

upstate NY
4 posts
Save Topic
Basilicata in April or May

Have you been to the southern, central part of Basilicata...in April?

My son is taking me to the area where my grandparents came from...Roccanova in the province of Potenza.

We also want to visit Matera.

I have to decide between the last 3 weeks of April or last 2 weeks of May going into June for our trip to Italy.

I don't mind wearing a coat or sweater. Cooler weather is better for walking. I just want to avoid any chance of slippery roads....or the real hot southern sun.

Please help me decide on when to go so that we can book our flights.

And suggestions on where to go other than Roccanova and Matera will be welcomed.

We will have 3 weeks total...at least 2 in Italy [maybe going into Puglia, Umbria/Il Marche and maybe 1 week in Croatia...

The most important part is planning for Basilicata.

Thank you!

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
321 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basilicata in April or May

Roccanova is in the mountains of southern Lucania so you can get some cooler temps in the spring but you won't need to worry about slippery roads. It will be cool at night but warm during the day in April and can get hot in May.

You will be close to the coast at Maratera which is worth a visit to see that town and drive the coast (comparable to the Amalfi). You will also be near Grumento with some excellent Greek/Roman ruins. There are several Natl parks in that area also. IN May you can visit the beaches along the coasts and Bernaldo is worth a visit on your way to Matera.

If you go farther north there is Venosa and Melfi and many wineries in that area around Mt Vulture.

2. Re: Basilicata in April or May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014