We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

Hi all,

After 3 days in Rome we have another 3 days where we are hoping to drive out of Rome and visit mountains, natures, wildlife etc for another 3 days.

Does anyone have any info on places to stay, places to visit etc that are all within 2-3 hours drive of Rome?

Ideally we would like a little mountain chalet, cottage or equivalent.

I have obviously done some of my own research but haven´t found anything particularly useful yet.

Thanks,

Tom

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

The Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga National Park itit's what you are looking for

www.gransassolagapark.it/page.php?id=347

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

This looks great, thanks for the advice!

We are going next week, do you know what kind of weather to expect at the start of November?

Also, is there any advice on the best places to stay close by? Perhaps a small holiday let or cottage in the area?

Again, many thanks.

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

I'm sorry Teepee, I went just once in early June to climb the Gran Sasso. So I don't know the weather in November, but I suppose it must be quite cold, even if you should find even sunny days.

Be aware that in your hikes you may already find snow in the high altitudes (I mean, above 2000 - 2500 meters; I can't say that certainly because, I repeat, I've never been there in November), but anyway study well the terrain. At lower altitude I think you shouldn't have any problem. And even low snow can be very nice and pleasant to walk through, not on rocks and steep terrain of course.

For locations, you are going in very low season, is too late for summer, and too early for the winter sports (like skiing). Don't worry, this very likely will make you enjoy even more the montainous region by yourself! And the Gran Sasso is such a beautiful mountain! Of course II hope you find beautiful days; if there is bad weather, consider to visit some of the beautiful small towns and sanctuaries around the region.

I don't know how many places you could find open in November, if you don't find first locations in smaller towns (like ASSERGI, where there is a cableway to Campo imperatore, but right now the cableway is closed - but a good base for hikes, and the Rifugio albergo Campo imperatore is also an historical place; or CASTEL DEL MONTE, a very beautiful small town - don't confound it with other "Castel del Monte" we have in Italy) you could even think to rely on the bigger city of L'AQUILA, the capital of the Abruzzi region: is very close to the Gran Sasso park, is a bigger city (unfortunatly hit by a terrible heartquake a few years ago) where you can certainly find a location.

I hope it helps, enjoy your days in the highest part of the Appennini mountain chain!

Edited: 5:20 am, October 28, 2015
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

Ah for weather I would rely on tables, like the one you find on wikipedia.

This is the table for L'Aquila, look at november.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Aquila

5. Re: Nature, mountains, wildlife etc for 3 Days....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 29, 2016