We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
37 reviews
Goldcar

Hired a car last September for the holidays through Aer Lingus website and got an email link to the car voucher which brought me to cartrawler,com., which ultimately brought me to hire a car from Goldcar, which was paid for in full and we even took out extra insurance over there just in case. Now the latest visa statement came in with an unauthorised deduction of €80. from Goldcar Italy, 4 months later and no explanation. Be warned. Take note. The credit card company are well aware of this situation, because they offered very little support to us. Couldn't reverse the transactions despite being unauthorised. We have to take it up with the hire company which is Spanish and might get an explanation if we ring an Italian number in the Airport we landed in. Good luck with that when you have very little Italian. Warning, NEVER HIRE A CAR from Goldcar !!! Just go and google it and do a little research on tripadvisor and you will do yourself a favour.

197 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,712 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Goldcar

It is probable that Goldcar has received some tickets for traffic offences that were caught by camera: speeding, entering a restricted area, driving in a bus lane. The Italian police often take 4 months or more to issue these tickets. In a few months, you can look forward to receiving the actual tickets.

Perth, Australia
8 posts
2. Re: Goldcar

Thanks for posting to warn travelers. Travelers need to know that their contract will be with the car rental provider in Italy, not the broker! Never reserve w/o knowing and researching the rental car company.

seattle
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
3. Re: Goldcar

VENICE, ITALY - JUNE 2015 Unfortunately I must agree with other travelers. I booked online via a UK broker for $93 for a week (Great bargain right??) and added the extra protection for another $53 on the same website (Hey still a good deal I thought, full protection is good in Italy, you never know.. ) BUT when at the counter I was added E162 for full protection (THEY DO NOT RECOGNIZE THE BROKER INSURANCE, so I paid for nothing the one online). The other choice was either forfeit the whole original amount or hold a deposit of E1200 for 15 to 30 days. I felt badly mistreated. They operate within the law I'm sure, but that does not change the feeling of being cheated. No transparency on final costs till the moment of picking up the car is NOT what a customer wants.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Goldcar

All of those conditions are in the terms and conditions of the contract and can easily be found online. If you failed to read the T&C's before booking that is your fault and not that of the company. You should always do the research before booking.

donna

leiden
1 post
5. Re: Goldcar

This was one of my worst experiences ever, booked and payed all in advance and still they managed to get extra money out of us. When we delivered the car the triangle was missing, we know for sure it was not in there when we left, but we needed to pay for it. There is a first time for every thing and for sure a last time.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
6. Re: Goldcar

How could I be so stupid to not check GoldCar out before I made the booking. Just DO NOT rent from them. They are NOT cheaper than the standard companies. They exist only to rip you off with hidden extras.

Repeat DO NOT rent form them. You will pay more in the end and have the privilege of terrible service and a long waut at both ends of your holiday

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
9 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Goldcar

I just rented from them in Gran Canaria and it was a bad experience. Their customer service is shocking. Indeed they do not recognise the broker insurance you pay whilst booking so I wonder what that insurance is actually for. I will be checking their website (rentalcars.com) to find out more. When we rented in Gran Canaria they advised at the counter that I needed to pay 100 Euro more for insurance and when I declined the guy behind the counter became angry and dismissive and slammed the keys on the counter and said "one small scratch my friend and you pay €1200 Euro... needless to say we inspected the car over and over before taking it and took many pictures.. got them to sign off on it and then when we returned it we did the same. So far no extra charges. Awful company .. For future I'm going back to the bigger ones.. you pay a little more but they are more flexible and there are less hidden costs.

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Goldcar

The insurances you get from other brokers has nothing to do with the rental company. That deal is between you and the third party insurance company. Most rental companies will put a huge hold on your credit card if you don't take their additional insurances. This is to ensure that they get paid if there is any damage to the car. They charge you and then you must go through the insurance you bought in order to be reimbursed. If you don't want the hold put on your card simply buy the additional insurances. It is all in the terms and conditions of the rental agreement. There is no reason to get upset by this, you agree to these terms when you sign the contract.

As for the customer service issues, while I agree there is no need for the counter people to be rude, just imagine what their normal day is like. You have people coming in from flights, tired and cranky. These are the same people who argue with them over the insurances, IDP's, gas and payment methods. These are the same people who haven't read the contract and want to argue about what they have agreed to do. I would be rude too if someone argued with me all day long, especially if they were always wrong. When you look at it from the counter agents point of view things become a little different.

Donna

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
9. Re: Goldcar

During the check-in the person at the desk at MXP insisted that I have to buy the full cover despite I have the excess insurance in another company. Then he assured me that the car is brand new and has NO SCRATCHES at all. And he warned that I'll be charged 600 EUR for each scratch.

After car check with another employee at the car park we found about five different scratches at different places. Unfortunately I didn't noticed a small scratch at the fromt bumper. May be because of bad light at the car park.

Of course this scratch was 'found' at check-in. And I've been charged 240 EUR for this. No I have to deal with another insurance company to get my mone back. Will avoid Goldcar again

pittsburgh
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
40,735 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Goldcar

If you didn't see the scratch when you checked the car how can you claim that it was there? You found and notated other scratches so obviously you looked the car over. There is no way you can be certain the scratch wasn't done by you. It could have been made by someone on a bike scratching your car while you were visiting a city and the car was parked or any other number of ways, you don't know. The rental company has every right to charge you for damage that occurred while the car was in your possession.

As for the insurances, the reason they offer insurance is so that you don't have to go through a third party in order to get your money back. If you had taken the additional coverage from Goldcar you would be done with it. There would be no claim and no charge against your card which you now need to fight with your insurance to get back.

Donna

Edited: 7:14 am, January 20, 2016
Reply to: Goldcar
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted