We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

Springfield, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

We are renting a car in Venice to drive to Florence after a visit in Venice. Would it be easier to pick it up at the airport or use a downtown location? We are staying near the rail station. Also, would it be better to drop off car at Florence airport or a downtown location (will be leaving on train to Rome)? We are staying in Tuscany. Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

The only "downtown location" in Venice (which gave me a good laugh - to me that means San Marco, which of course you can't access by car) would be Piazzale Roma, more-or-less across the canal from the railway station. Hertz, Avis, Europcar etc. are all there.

For Florence, given the never-ending complaints on here from foreign drivers who got into trouble there, with the ZTL, bus lanes etc., it seems it would be much better to leave the car at the airport and go into/return to Florence by the airport shuttle.

Edited: 2:46 pm, March 06, 2014
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

Would you be staying outside of the city of Florence, hence the need for a car? I ask because you will not need a car in Florence itself, too much trouble with restricted traffic zones(ZTL) and the possible high fines. Unless you have a specific need of the car between Venice and Florence you will be better off taking the train from Venice to Florence.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,564 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

It sounds like you are doing what we are doing: driving from Venice to Tuscany for a few days, then dropping the car when you head to Florence.

We are collecting our car from the Piazzale Roma, which I gather is a bit easier to get to from central Venice than the airport, and then heading to our accommodations in Cortona for 5 nights. I have opted to drop our car in Arezzo and then take the train from there into Florence. The airport is on the Lucca side of Florence, so I decided that it would end up being easier to just pick up a commuter train from Arezzo into Florence and avoid those ZTLs I keep reading about (and have me quite scared off!)

It will depend on where you are staying in Tuscany, but taking the train into Florence may be a bit easier that trying to navigate into the city.

Edited: 3:45 pm, March 06, 2014
Springfield, PA
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

Thanks for the help. Think we will drop off at Florence airport and avoid the city.

5. Re: Pick up rental car at airport or downtown location in Venice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 09, 2015