We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I was just wondering if anyone has used or heard anything about this company? G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy. I have gone through the internet and can't find any reviews on them. Any help would be appreciated.

68 replies to this topic
Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I have never heard of them, but if you have done an internet search and can't find any reviews it seems like they would not be worth traveling with.

Cortland, New York
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

Welcome to the forum by the way. There is a ton of information that can be learned here. Type a question in the top box and some helpful forum topics will come up. Enjoy your research.

Hamilton Square...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

Dear 222Char,

My wife and I along with 3 other couples (friends) have traveled with GTI in June of last year (2012) on the Bella Italia Tour. The tour to say the least was just plain fantastic! Italy in itself is just wonderful even if you don’t take an official tour. What GTI offers you is a niche experience in Italy that the big operators can’t provide along with attention to personal detail. I have traveled with Trafalgar, food was at best ok and you get “nickel and dimed” for everything After spending $3,000 per person with Trafalgar my tour cost my wife and an additional $750 each for the added excursions, this was in 2009. If you like wine at dinner, on the large tours you have to pay for your own.

When we selected GTI we call and spoke with the owner (a real Italian running the tours) looking for a complete inclusive experience. What we received was and amazing experience. My wife and friends did not take a dime out of our pockets for anything other than Ice cream and souvenirs. GTI immerses you in Italy with its food & beauty and their tours guides that are unbelievably knowledgeable in their specific regions (most if not all were University Professors). As far as food is concerned, you get firsthand knowledge the main eateries in Italy Pizzeria (don’t think US style way better), Osteria (local food specific to that town), Trattoria (less formal than a ristorante, but more formal than an osteria), Ristorante (highest level of food). Why is this important, the Italian culture is “in love with food and socializing” and this experience indulges you in the culture of Italian eating and friendship. Finally you’ll experience an Agriturismo, we went to a local farm and had all local food from a 30 kilometer (20 mile) area. After all of this you will have experienced an unbelievable food orgy.

Next the excursions (all included), let’s just say it was an outstanding sightseeing and history tour raped up in one, bring a large SD card for your camera. You’ll see much more than from that big tour outfits. Bring good walking shoes and exercise for 3 months prior to your departure as no stone is left unturned.

When you travel with GTI you’ll feel like family, the team is very responsive to your needs. My wife and now 6 other couples all friends are traveling with GTI again in Oct 2014 and we can’t wait!

While I research the web as well it is not the end all to your research I called a lot of tour companies that did not have reviews to get some personal insight about their tours and their company. I wanted to stay away from the big tours because I wanted to be with no more than 20 people per tour (this is GTI’s max) while the others squeeze an average of 30 to a tour. I prefer the niche “guy” the expert in his native land and not the big guys run out of California (Trafalga , Insight and Contiki are run by the same parent company The Travel Corporation, Anaheim, Calif). It’s your choice, do you want to travel to Italy from a large corporation located in California or a niche local Company that knows its country.

Good luck on your travels.

Edited: 2:45 pm, December 06, 2013
Hamilton Square...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

Dear 222Char,

I forgot to mention, please give Simone a call, after speaking with him, you'll try GTI's tour.

Again good luck with your travels.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

So 222Char, did you book a tour with G.T.I?

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I would also like to know if you booked the G.T.I. Tour.

New York City, New...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I researched just about every tour company out there before making a decision. I was actually about to give up, because I couldn't find one tour that visited every place I wanted to see on my first trip to Italy. I decided to take one more look and stumbled upon GTI. I watched the nine minute video and contacted the company. Simone was charming and I decided to take a leap of faith and book my travel with GTI. My husband and I will be experiencing Italy and GTI this summer. I will post my review when we get back.

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I did end up booking!! We go on the Pearls of Italy tour in July!! I will be sure to write a review upon our return. But so far the service has been great!!

Burlington, North...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

My husband and I just returned from the Bella Italia tour two days ago. We too were hesitant to book at first because of the lack of information on the company. However, after speaking with Simone, we took a leap of faith and booked. Our group ended up being small, and the tour was great! I agree with everything Joe A said above in his entry. We didn't have to spend a dime on excursions, but there are a few meals that are not covered in the cost. You will note that some days there are two meals provided and you have to buy your own lunch or dinner (if you are not still stuffed from your previous meal!). One additional expense you could factor in: we did end up tipping the local tour guides in each location and tipping the GTI tour guide and driver at the end because we were pleased with their services. The hotels were clean and provided internet ( although a little problematic at the hotel in Sorrento) and the local guides were knowledgeable and helpful. You do need to be in good enough shape to be on your feet doing walking tours for several hours at a time in each of the cities. Note that you have a full day on your own on Capri, although the company does provide you tickets to ferry to and from the island. All in all, we had a very positive experience and found the trip delightful. I would recommend the GTI experience without hesitation, based on our trip.

cv
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy

I have not seen their website.

I have to check then out.

Not decided yet on solo or tour.

Reply to: G.T.I. - Great Tours of Italy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted