We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Travel - Ticket Prices

OK
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train Travel - Ticket Prices

We (husband and I) will be in Italy the last two weeks of September. I'm trying to sort out train tickets from Rome to Naples on September 23 at approximately 9:00 am.

No luck at all on the Trenitalia site. On the Italiarail site, I can find the possible trains. I see a price listed for Standard/Super Economy of $53. My question is - is that for both tickets or only one? I'm sorry for the silly question. I know at the top it says "Prices for all Passengers". But, I'm still not clear exactly what that means.

Thank you for helping out a novice train traveler!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,679 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

Train times for September are on the Trenitalia site, Are you looking for trains from Roma Termini to Napoli Centrale, and have you set the "hour" field to "08"?

I don't know about ItaliaRail, but on Trenitalia if you say there will be 2 passengers, you are shown the total price for both of them. The price seems to indicate that ItaliaRail is probably doing the same.

Edited: 2:09 am, July 03, 2013
Milano
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

There is a train from Roma Termini (main station) at 9.05 that arrives at 10.15 in Napoli centrale (main station). If you buy tickets now you may pay them 19€ per person/journey instead of standard price (43€).

OK
Level Contributor
216 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

Thank you both for your replies!! I did get the Ternitalia site to list the appropriate schedules - with your help - and I can see the prices!! I'm getting better with the train sites but there are always so many questions.

Thanks again.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

Hi rcjhgku,

I am the owner of ItaliaRail.

To answer your question regarding ItaliaRail - the prices shown would be for all passengers, not per passenger.

Sorry if this wasn't clear enough - we will look at making this more evident.

With the low super economy prices it is understandable why it might not be evident that it is for both travelers.

Thanks for considering ItaliaRail.

Mike

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,398 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

There are trains of one kind or other leaving Termini for Naples (and vice versa) nearly hourly. They are not all the 70 min fast trains though. There is the IC train (2hour journey approx 22 euro versus 44 euro for the 70 min train) and the regional train that takes longer than 2 hours fo make the journey but costs somethign like 10.5 euro. if you buy train tickets ahead of time, you are stuck with that train and if you miss it you have to buy new tickets. I myslef like the flexibility of arriving at the station, and buying tickets on the next train leaving. Sometimes it's a plus because I ride on the IC train and get a "discount". All the approximate prices I quoted are for one person and one-way.

6. Re: Train Travel - Ticket Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 05, 2014