We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Has anyone used rentalcars.com for car rentals in Italy? Any bad experience or things to watch out for?

75 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,934 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

www.auto-europe.co.uk offer competitive rates, you will require an International Driving Permit for Italy and read Top Questions to the right "Driving in Italy".

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

www.venere.com

www.italia.it/en/home.html

Bath
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

DO NOT USE RENTALCARS.COM.we hired a car from nice in september 2012. When we got home we discovered we have been charged 225 EUROS for a 'serenity package' which we a) did not ask for b) were not advised we were being charged for and c) are unable to find anywhere on their website. They are now ignoring our emails and it is impossible to get through to them on the phone. The amount we have been charged is almost as much as we paid for the car hire.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,712 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

You should have immediately raised a formal dispute with your credit card provider. It is now probably too late for that.

Paris...
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Don't use rentalcars.com.

I'm a poor student studying in Paris, and about a month ago my friends and I wanted to visit Normandy so we planned on renting a car and driving there. I found out after booking the car that Rentalcars.com has a 250 km driving limit in France (which is tiny). This wasn't made clear when I booked, and I realized I needed to change providers so I tried cancelling, despite being within the 48 hour cancellation limit (I was about 45 hours away from renting the car). To my relief, the website said that the cancellation had come through, and that I would be charged 0 euros on my credit card. I even got an email saying the cancellation was confirmed. I was assured that everything had worked out, and I would get my money back.

After my trip, I found out to my horror that I was charged 125 dollars!! The company completely lied to me, and falsely assured me that I would get my money back. If I had known I would have been charged, I still would have used the car, I would have driven to Versailles or something. But instead I was completely mislead, and all that money went to waste. To me, this is horrible service... to make it worse, when I filed a complaint they pretty much ignored me, then gave me a generic reply, and sent me their terms and conditions. They didn't even acknowledge that the information they had given me was misleading.

NEVER USE RENTALCARS 0 out of 5 stars. Horrible service.

Valparaiso...
1 post
5. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Rentalcars.com are a terrible company. They let us book a car but when we got to Chicago they wouldn't rent to us because we had american licenses. I offered my Irish license but they would NOT take it. Rentalcars.com would NOT give us a refund because they considered it a cancellation that the car rental company wouldn't give us a car. They also don't include taxes in their pricing so stay clear of this company. They will leave you stranded at the airport.

Oxford, United...
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Happened to me too. Had my wallet stolen at the airport so could not present a driving license to hire the car. My partner was a named driver on the policy but the car hire company (Budget) refused to transfer the car over to her name, despite the car sitting there waiting for us! We were forced to hire another car (which happened to be the same one we had already paid for!) rentalcars.com say they have a 24 hour helpline, they don't, was on the phone from the US to UK at 2:30am UK time for 1 hour being told repeatedly "we are experiencing high call volumes", yeah right! eventually it was picked up and promptly put down. All attempts to get a response from the company have failed. My credit card company and small claims court is the only option now.

AVOID THIS COMPANY they are rude on the phone (during UK office hours!), and totally ignorant of customer care.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

YES!!! Avoid them..I hired a car from them and they charged me twice. Told me that I had hired two cars which was not true. What looked like a cheap rental turned out to be a very expensive one. When tried to chase the company up they told me I had to pay for two cars and that was final. Have sent numerous emails to them to no avail...all being ignored. I have used them on a number of occasions in several countries and all a bit dodgy. One particular rental they froze money in my account until the car was returned because I hadn't taken out excess cover...(which I didn't do because it was covered by my travel insurance)... be warned!!!!!!

Edited: 7:34 pm, July 09, 2013
UK
1 post
8. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

Two weeks ago I rented a car through rentalcars to pick up at Madrid airport. Rental cars advertise themselves as using leading rental car brands (and their logos on their website), but find this misleading. My car provider was called Firefly, which seems to be an offset of Hertz. Basically, it seems that when Hertz had "enough" of their cars and they are not fit anymore for their brand image, they go to Firefly! What you end up is with a high mileage car, body damaged all round, off airport desks, lack of staff, pre charged fuel tank at higher prices and hard selling of all sorts of extras to make the price go much higher than what was already paid to rentalcars. Yes, the car works, but was expecting much better service and car from a "leading car hire brand" as advertised by rentalcars. Just google firefly reviews and you will get the picture. Shame on you rentalcars to mislead me towards using Firefly.

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
81 posts
81 reviews
9. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

AVOID Rentalcars.com at all costs. NEVER rent through them or with Avis. I rented a car in late August from Rome airport and had booked and paid for it via rentalcars,com in the UK. There was an hour and a half wait before we could get our turn at the Avis desk. The paperwork was hurried through with little explanation. At no time did I ask for or want an upgraded car nor did I ask for or want adfitional insurances etc. Imagine my horror when I got back to the UK to find that Avis had taken an extra £202.00 from my credit card !! I disputed this with rentalcars.com but, believe me, they care nothing for their customers at all. It turns out that the Avis rep in Rome put on the paperwork that I had agreed to upgrade my choice of car, I did not. She had also lumped on many ' extras ' which I had never asked for or agreed to. This is a scam that they seem to be operating a lot in

Italy. They do not process the payment until you have left the country and of course they bank on the fact that

you will not read every line of the paperwork they get you to sign. BE VERY AWARE OF THIS FRAUD AND SCAM. Not something I ever expected from a company like Avis. I will Never use them or rentalcars.com again.

Edited: 1:15 pm, October 16, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
300 reviews
10. Re: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?

We use this very simple rule: ALWAYS book direct with the company that actually rents the auto and NEVER use any agents. People who seek bargains often get more than expected. Even then, you must ask up front for ALL charges and insurance requirements.

Reply to: Car Rental - Anyone used rentalcars.com?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted